President Obama says a Romney presidency would create 800,000 jobs–abroad
President Barack Obama blasted Mitt Romney's economic plan during a stop in the pivotal swing state of Ohio on Monday, saying the blueprint would create 800,000 jobs—just not in America.
"Today, we found out, there's a new study out by a nonpartisan economist that says Gov. Romney's economic plan would in fact create 800,000 jobs," Obama said at a town hall-style event in Cincinnati. "There's only one problem. The jobs wouldn't be in America."
"They would not be in America. They'd be in other countries. By eliminating taxes on corporations' foreign income, Gov. Romney's plan would actually encourage companies to shift more of their operations to foreign tax havens, creating 800,000 jobs in those other countries," the president added.
"This shouldn't be a surprise because Gov. Romney's experience has been investing in what were called pioneers of the business of outsourcing," Obama said, reprising one of his core arguments against the Republican standard-bearer. The president has been assailing Romney over allegedly encouraging businesses to ship jobs overseas.
Obama was referring to a study of Romney's proposals in the Tax Notes newsletter by Reed College economist Kimberly Clausing. But conservatives quickly pointed reporters to data showing that Clausing has given $492 to Obama's re-election effort. And ABC News reported that:
Romney is far from alone in endorsing a territorial tax system, which would allow the profits made by an American corporation in another country to escape U.S. taxation. In fact, a number of advisers to the president support the idea as well — including members of the President's Export Council, the commission the president set up to recommend ways to reduce the deficit, and members of his Council on Jobs and Competitiveness.
Meanwhile, the Obama campaign highlighted a victory against China at the World Trade Organization. Even before Obama touched down in Ohio, the White House trumpeted a new WTO ruling against China as a victory for his get-tough approach to unfair competition.
"Today's win shows our determination to go after China's efforts to distort global trade rules," said press secretary Jay Carney. "And it will benefit jobs and companies here at home.
"The president feels very strongly that taking action to ensure that American companies and American workers are able to compete on a level playing field with China and other countries is something that resonates across the country with Americans," Carney said. "The timing is not ours, but it is newsworthy today."
China is a perennial election-year punching bag—especially in Rust Belt battlegrounds like Ohio, where many blame what they consider Beijing's unfair trade practices for the loss of manufacturing jobs. Romney frequently accuses Obama of doing too little to take on China over its alleged cheating in global trade. The issue resonates powerfully in Ohio, whose Democratic and Republican senators, Sherrod Brown and Rob Portman, have frequently pushed the administration to take a harder line on Beijing.
When Obama visited Ohio earlier this month, his administration unveiled WTO action against Chinese duties on American-made cars and SUVs, including some made in the Buckeye State.
This time, a WTO dispute panel agreed with the Obama administration that China discriminates against American credit card companies and in favor of its state-owned China Union Pay.
"This decision will help U.S. companies and increase American jobs as a more efficient credit and debit payment system in China enables consumers to buy more goods, including quality, made-in-America products," U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk said in a statement heralding the decision. The USTR cited industry estimates that the economy could gain 6,000 jobs.
A high school teacher in Utah has been arrested for allegedly having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student who was able to accurately describe ... Full story
- How NOT to dive off a diving board
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Beyonce recreates iconic Rosie the Riveter feminist poster in new photo shoot
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- Woman was born with no vagina; can't have sex or babies
- Snapchat reveals geofilters that can only be unlocked in the right place
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- Man 'has sex with dog on camera'
- Jaimie Alexander Goes Without Underwear in Shocking Sheer Dress With Body-Flashing Cutouts: Pictures
- DeKalb man William Matthews Simmons accused of inappropriate relationship with 15-year-old boy
- Father of Abigail Hernandez's boyfriend Jimmy Campbell pleads to be told where teen was
- Georgia's Most Dangerous Cities
- Female suicide bomber kills five on bus in Russia ahead of Sochi Olympics
- Black man tries to buy $1300 watch, gets arrested
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- Customs officers at JFK seize two women carrying six kilos of cocaine inside home-made diapers
- Faysal Himon, NYC cab driver, avoids charges in accident that left tourist without a foot, report says
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- Facebook selfie helps police identify fraud suspect as Tanya Peel
- Cobb teen Laterrika Freeman falls ill, dies after swimming outing
- McStay Family Update: Human remains found in Mojave Desert belong to Calif. family missing since 2010, relative says
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- Tony Cardenas trolls Darrell Issa with request to build Oversight 'truth pond'
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Mother Sophie-May Dixon gives tots Precious Bell and Princess Bliss SPRAY TANS (not to mention pedicures, pierced ears, fake nails and hair extensions - though they're only four and two)
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam )
- Rabbi Noah Muroff finds $100K of forgotten cash in desk bought on Craigslist
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- 10 ways to improve your body
- Sylvia Mitchell Update: "Sorry" NYC psychic gets 5 to15 years in prison for conning clients
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- Footage of woman with airport alligator shows they took train to Chicago's O'Hare airport
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|