College freshman Marvell Edmonson, 19, swept to his death after he was 'forced to cross river in hazing ritual'
Four men have been charged with hazing following the drowning of one Virginia State University student, Marvell Edmonson, who was swept to his death as he attempted to cross the Appomattox River as part of an initiation rite, police said on Tuesday.
A second student, Jauwan Holmes, remained missing on Tuesday, three days after seven male students were pulled down the river by the current as they tried to cross on April 20 as part of their initiation into a group known as 'Men of Honor.'
The rest of the men were pulled to safety or drifted to shore, a police statement said.
'Hazed': Marvell Edmonson, a freshman at Virginia State University, died during an initiation ritual after he was swept away crossing the Appomattox River
Search: Authorities are continuing a search for a second student who has not yet been found in the Appomattox
College hazing has attracted attention since the high profile 2011 death of 26-year-old Florida A&M University drum major Robert Champion during a band trip.
That death was ruled a homicide and led to felony charges against a number of band members.
In Virginia, police in Chesterfield County said they charged four men with five counts each of hazing following the drowning of 19-year-old Marvell Edmondson, a freshman at Virginia State University in Ettrick.
Edmonson's body was recovered on Monday, while fellow freshman Jauwan M. Holmes, also 19, remained missing. Police divers were searching the river for his body.
Suspect: James Mackey is the third person being charged; the four suspect has not been arrested yet
The four men charged with hazing were linked to the 'Men of Honor' group, police said.
They include James A. Mackey, 35 of Midlothian; freshman Cory D. Baytop, 26 of Newport News; and freshman Eriq K. Benson, 19, of Quinton.
Police said Charles E Zollicoffer, 29, had also been charged but was not yet in custody.
Virginia State University President Keith T. Miller said the school was grieving after the body of Edmonson was recovered.
'We trust this development provides a sense of relief to Marvell's family and pray for both of our students' families,' he said.
A Virginia State spokesman has said that 'Men of Honor' was not a sanctioned club at the university, although the school was aware of the group.
Spokesman Thomas Reed said the group had inquired about a year ago about establishing itself at the school, but never filled out any paperwork.
On Sunday, the university went into a lockdown and established a curfew following a vigil for the missing students. The curfew was lifted the next morning.
WHO runs the world? Beyoncé. But she wants other women to join in on the fun, too. Queen Bey flew her feminist flag high today ... Full story
- Crash victims survive after car is crushed flat by lorry's shipping container load
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Beyonce and Jay Z wear matching ski masks in new poster announcing their summer tour On The Run Star
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- Dontrell Darling: Fla. boy, 9, shot in face in drive-by while sleeping in his home
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- 10 ways to improve your body
- Antonio Brown accused of dangling child from overpass while drunk and dressed as a clown
- White Republican Dave Wilson wins election in inner city Houston after PRETENDING to be African-American in campaign flyers
- Mystery of creepy dolls left outside California homes that resemble the little girls who live there
- Drunken mockery of U.S. tourists in the wake of 9/11 returns to haunt soccer star Lampard as he prepares to sign for NYC team
- Homeowner makes astonishing TV boast about shooting 'pregnant' home invader dead as she pleaded for mercy - as police say her ACCOMPLICE could be charged with her murder
- Man goes to hospital for circumcision, wakes up with no penis
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- 'Hamas militants' rounded up by Israeli soldiers during Gaza offensive
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Math teacher Ashley Anderson, 24, 'who sent students nude pics of herself' admits to having sex with them
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
- Couple killed in Virginia campsite tornado as their son fights for his life
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Daniel Stillwell: Man who killed ex-girlfriend, another man in double homicide found dead after driving car over cliff
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- Indian rape suspects lie beaten after 7-year-old girl found hanging from tree
- Fancy a bite? Woman hauls in massive 143.7kg tuna south of Sydney that is big enough to feed an entire suburb
- Buddhist monk sex tape made by woman and holy man in their Massachusetts' temple leaks online and prompts her to sue
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Would YOU eat dog meat?
- Daughter holds 'wedding' ceremony so her terminally ill father can walk her down the aisle
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Golfing buddies make parody of Queen's iconic hit Bohemian Rhapsody
- Chinese billionaire Liu Yiqian drinks world's most expensive cup of tea
- Three shot, killed at Crystal Point Apartments parking lot in DeKalb Co
- US weighs refugee status for Central American kids
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- Arkansas man who 'stabbed his pregnant girlfriend to death while her daughter, 2, slept' says he can't remember killing her
- Teacher 'had sex with student in house near middle school for over a year'
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Georgia father Justin Ross Harris researched child death in hot car on Internet
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|