Teen with eye cancer, 17, told glass eye is a 'slap in the face of God'
More from Regional
- Emily Monroe, from South Florida, has battled eye cancer since age five, when her left eye was removed and replaced with a glass one
- After beating the cancer twice, it has now developed in her right eye, with doctors saying she has 'six to eight months to live'
- The 17-year-old has started a Tumblr page to document her condition and has revealed the torment she has endured from people at school, who have said her glass eye 'goes against God's plan'
- But Monroe refused to be defeated, saying: 'I have kicked cancer's a-- twice and I'm going for a third.'
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 09:28 EST, 22 November 2013 | UPDATED: 09:35 EST, 22 November 2013
She calls herself the 'one-eyed wonder' and, despite serious vision impairments, has managed to become the captain of her high school volleyball team.
But 17-year-old student Emily Monroe - who has suffered from retinal cancer since childhood and was recently told she had six to eight months to live following the discovery of a new tumor - says she is constantly 'threatened' and 'beaten down' by classmates, who say her glass eye is 'a slap in the face of God'.
The remarkable Florida teen, who blogs about her condition, has twice beat the cancer, however it has now reappeared for the third time.
Monroe was five when she was diagnosed with Retinoblastoma, a fast-developing type of cancer that forms in the retina, usually in young children.
'I'm proud of what I've achieved': Emily Monroe, 17, says she is bullied at her high school for having a glass eye due to retinal cancer and is told that it 'goes against God's plan'. The defiant teen blogs about her condition to raise awareness. In October doctors told her she had '6-8 months to live'
Her left eye was removed as a result and replaced with a glass eye, which appears bigger than her actual eye.
'This is quite noticeable to some people but to others, not as much,' Monroe wrote on her Tumblr page.
'I’ve gotten much hate from my eye about how it is “a slap in the face to God”.
'I will never disrespect someone’s religion so please don’t use your religion to attack someone.'
During her sophomore year, an MRI scan showed a mass had developed behind the glass eye.
Following radiation therapy, doctors decided to complete hollow out the eye socket to remove any tumors.
While the surgery was successful, the radiation affected Monroe's stomach, causing her to lose her appetite.
She was prescribed a drug called Megase, which is a form of liquid marijuana, to help her regain her appetite.
'I missed most of that year in school but I still managed to be the captain of my volleyball team despite not having any depth perception whatsoever,' she wrote.
Monroe deals with debilitating symptoms of her condition each day.
'Vomiting, weak, tired, groggy, grumpy, hormonal ... ever (expletive) day,' she said.
'6 out of 7, I'm sick.'
However she says she is routinely taunted by a group of about two dozen students.
'They said god wanted me dead and that’s why I’ve gotten cancer (now) three times,' she wrote online.
'So my eye is a 'trophy' to brag about how I fucked up God’s plan.'
'I deal with being the most hated person in school daily because my glass eye is a “slap in the face to God”.
'I’m not well liked. I’m threatened, beaten down and much worse but all in all, I’M OK.'
Sadly, doctors have discovered another mass, this time behind her right eye, which means she can't have surgery.
Monroe started radiation again on October 19, however she says her 'body isn't fighting the cancer'.
'When the results came back I was given 6-8 months,' she posted on her blog.
'This isn't definite, but it's probable.
'Radiation isn't working anymore.
'My body gave up.'
However, despite the diagnosis and torment from her peers, Monroe remains strong an optimistic, saying she won't give up the fight.
'I am proud of myself for all I've accomplished,' she said.
'I've kicked cancers ass twice and I'm going for a third.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Student, 14, 'used tree branch to rape teacher in school...
- In love behind bars, Charles Manson, 79, and the 25-year-old...
- Grieving Belgian woman sleeps next to the grisly remains of...
- Shocking ordeal of London slaves revealed: Malaysian woman,...
- Female teacher banned from profession for having sexual...
- '2 drunk 2 care:' What driver, 20, posted on her 'pothead...
- Outrage after Miami official mocks Walmart's 'typical...
- What would the world's greatest music legends have looked...
- Man's 'I cheated' prank goes sour when girlfriend admits...
- Phew, that was close! Massive cargo plane's nail-biting...
- Teen game of randomly punching strangers becoming a...
- EXCLUSIVE - Brittany Murphy’s stepdaughter, 18, talks...