Parents outrage as baby son is denied heart transplant 'because he is disabled'
A New York couple claim their desperately ill newborn son was denied a heart transplant by hospital because he suffers a mental disability.
Autumn Chenkus, 32, and her boyfriend, Charlie Higgs, allege that New York-Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan refused to put their child, Maverick, onto a transplant list because he had a rare genetic defect.
Refusing to believe that their sons Coffin-Siris syndrome was a valid reason not to put him on the transplant list, Autumn and Charlie embarked on a month-long battle to get Maverick treatment - culminating in a fateful trip to Boston in June.
Named after Tom Cruise's fighter pilot character in Top Gun, little Maverick was born with a severe heart defect in Manhattan in September of 2012.
He had his first surgery at the age of 4-days old at Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, a part of the New York-Presbyterian system and was kept in intensive care through Christmas.
However, his condition began to deteriorate and by March he was fast running out of options.
It was a god-send for his parents when he was accepted as an eligible transplant candidate on March 18th, but just two days later everything changed.
Disgust: Autumn Chenkus and Charlie Higgs were distraught to be told by New York-Presbyterian Hospital refused their child for a heart transplant in March
Loving mother: Autumn with Maverick as he recovered in hospital in New York as he descended into heart failure after his birth in September 2012
Charlie and Autumn were called into a hospital conference room and informed that their son had been diagnosed with Coffin-Siris syndrome.
The disease causes children to grow up with intellectual and development disabilities as compared to other children.
According to a recent study, babies with Coffin-Siris sit, walk, and speak later than other children on average.
Fewer than 100 cases of Coffin-Siris have been reported worldwide since it was identified in the 1970s.
On March 22nd, another meeting was convened by the doctors and Autumn and Charlie were told that their son was no longer considered a candidate for transplant.
Doctors said that those with Coffin-Siris tend to have compromised immune systems and are also at risk for tumors and infections according to a report from CNN.
Autumn and Charlie were told that because of this any transplant would be too risky and therefore he was sadly being taken off the list.
His medical record includes a note about the meeting, signed by Dr. Linda Addonizio, medical director of Presbyterian's pediatric cardiac transplant program.
'His genetic defect is associated with increased infections and tumors, which would be greatly magnified combined with the immunosuppression involved in transplantation,' the note said.
'I discussed that this does not mean we are giving up on Maverick, but trying to improve his heart failure as best as possible and get him to gain weight.'
Happy: Charlie and Autumn with Maverick at home in New York after returning from hospital in Boston after successful treatment
However, according to Autumn, the doctors were cold and told her that she should simply enjoy the time she had left with her son.
Stunned, shocked and distraught by the news, Autumn suspected that doctors were not giving her son a chance.
She emailed the author of the Dutch study which New York-Presbyterian physicians cited as a reason for not giving Maverick the chance of a transplant.
Dr. Gijs Santen at Leiden University Medical Center in the Netherlands wrote back saying catergorically that children with Coffin-Siris do not have compromised immune systems.
'It is difficult to use infection risk as a reason not to perform a heart transplant,' said Dr. Gijs Santen to CNN.
More to the point, Autumn opened up a dialogue with Dr. Grange Coffin - who along with Dr. Evelyn Siris discovered the syndrome in 1970 at the University of California.
'Coffin-Siris is not a reason to say no to a transplant,' said Dr. Grange Coffin. 'I would say it's wrong to do so.'
Presbyterian still wouldn't budge. They insisted they would not give Maverick a transplant.
Autumn called another meeting on April 12, when Maverick was 6 months old and doctors repreated their position that there would be no transplant.
Sick: Maverick has the genetic condition Coffin-Siris syndrome - which can lead to developmental issues with children as they grow older
Autumn said that the doctors even looked at their watches to indicate that they had somewhere else they would rather be and left as she began to sob.
'The more I fought, the less they listened,' she said. 'But I knew that going home to die was not his fate,' said Autumn.
Refusing to let their son died, Charlie and Autumn tried to get him a transplant and contacted Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, the Cleveland Clinic and Boston Children's Hospital.
On May 6 they were turned down by Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and a few days after that by the Cleveland Clinic.
Desperate, Autumn and Charlie drove to Boston to speak face to face with the doctors there to save their sons life.
They got what they wanted on Mary 18, Maverick was taken by ambulance from New York to Boston where he was prepared for surgery.
His medications were changed and his weight increased. Maverick's condition improved and amazingly on June 7, doctors called in Autumn and Charlie and told them that their son would not be getting a transplant.
This time however, it wasn't because of his medical prognosis it was because he didn't need one anymore.
'I felt like the weight of the world had been taken off my shoulders,' she said.
'The difference between Boston and all the other hospitals is the way they cared -- the fact that they cared,' she said.
Charlie and Autumn have filed a complaint againt New York Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital.
'The hospital first said the decision was based on Maverick being at a heightened risk for tumors and infection. We later learned that this was false information and that Maverick is not at a heightened risk for tumors or infection,' Higgs wrote in the complaint according to CNN.
REMEMBER Waldo from the 1994 film Little Rascals? Well the cute child actor, who first shot to fame playing Derek on Full House, is now ... Full story
- No zoo for you, kid. The US government shutdown hates children
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Decapitated head of Brazilian footballer Joao Rodrigo Silva Santos found dumped on Rio doorstep
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- NBC Aired A Bare Breast During Live Water Polo Coverage Today
- Black hot dogs are being sold in Japan, as seen in viral video
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- Police: Atlanta man Joseph Smith accused in triple murder involved in reported rape
- Beyonce recreates iconic Rosie the Riveter feminist poster in new photo shoot
- Millions of Muslims celebrate Eid to mark the end of Ramadan
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Kardashian sisters strip down and to model lingerie
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Anna Chapman Nude Photos: Naked Pictures Of Russian Spy In 'Playboy'
- ANOTHER plane passenger strips naked at U.S. airport in protest at security searches
- Cienna Doddles: 14-year-old girl charged with murder after 'killing man, 30, during a home invasion'
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- 'No school tomorrow, all the children in Gaza are dead': Far-right Israelis sing sickening chants in the street to celebrate latest deaths of Palestinian infants
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- How NOT to dive off a diving board
- From mangled to medical rock star: Shotgun victim who underwent most ambitious face transplant ever performed covers GQ and says he is 'honored to be an experiment'
- Fayette County board votes to close 4 schools
- Cheerleader body found: Body of missing 13-year-old Hailey Dunn found two years after disappearance
- Mom, 4 young kids killed in NYC stabbing rampage
- Israeli footage reveals moment Palestinians are killed trying to tunnel into country
- Verizon boosts FiOS uploads to match downloads
- Georgia Southern Student Philip Christian Found Dead On Spring Break
- High school football star, killed with three friends in crash hours before graduation
- Tappan Zee accident: Elderly wrong-way driver causes deadly crash in New York
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Shoplifters leave Wal-Mart with carts full of TVs
- 2014 Maneuver Warfighting Conference at Ft. Benning
- Grill gadgets that make life easier
- Neighborhood watchmen Robert Canoles, Branden Canoles charged in arrest mix-up
- Couple James Hood, Briana Hood charged with murder in stabbing
- School football coach slapped with bullying complaint after team's 91-0 win
- Obama hauls Central American leaders to White House to order them to stop immigration flood - but they blame HIM for 'ambiguous' policies
- Ruptured 30-inch Los Angeles water main opens 15-foot sinkhole in Sunset Boulevard and strands motorists across submerged UCLA campus
- ECSO asking for donations for new K9s
- AU garden produces over 1,000 lbs. of produce for area food banks
- Escaped Inmate Devonte Ross Found Hiding Under Deck
- Report: Gwinnett teacher Heriberto Lopez accused of groping teen
- CNN anchor Carol Costello robbed in Atlanta
- Mistie Atkinson, Mom who made sex tape with son, 16, is jailed for four years
- Desperate search for hikers Neal Peckens, Jason Hiser missing for 48 hours in Glacier National Park
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|