Jahi McMath case: Family of girl, 13, declared brain-dead from tonsil surgery complications refuse to remove her from life support
- Jahi McMath, 13, went to have her tonsils and adenoids out at Oakland Children's Hospital, California last week
- Afterwards she was bleeding from the nose and mouth, suffered cardiac arrest and was declared brain dead
- Hospital told her heartbroken family that they will switch off her life support as she has been declared legally dead
- Girl's mother and uncle served hospital with cease and desist letter, leading to announcement Tuesday that Jahi will remain on ventilator
- Relatives are convinced that prayers will help McMath wake up
- Experts say no one has ever recovered from being brain dead
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 02:09 EST, 18 December 2013 | UPDATED: 02:25 EST, 18 December 2013
The family of a 13-year-old California girl who was declared brain dead last week, three days after undergoing a routine tonsillectomy to cure her sleep apnea, are determined to keep her on life support indefinitely against the hospital's wishes.
Speaking to CNN's Piers Morgan Tuesday night, Nailah Winkfield, the mother of Jahi McMath, said she believed her daughter could still wake up.
'I don't want to take my daughter off life support because I love my child,' an emotional Miss Winkfield said. 'When I walked her into that hospital, she was perfectly fine, there was nothing wrong with her. She had no health problems.'
Loss: Jahi McMath, 13, suffered cardiac arrest after having her tonsils out and has been declared brain dead. The hospital will now switch off her life support, even though her family does not want to
The mother recounted how when Jahi emerged from surgery to remove her tonsils at Children's Hospital & Research Center in Oakland lastTuesday, the 13-year-old said her throat was hurting and she wanted a Popsicle.
'I don't want her off life support because I really feel like she can wake up,' Nailah Winkfield told Morgan. 'I feel like it's just been a rough week for her and, if they just give her some more time, then she'll be able to wake up.'
Jahi's family have since presented the hospital with a cease and desist letter through their attorney, Christopher Dolan, to prevent the teen from being taken off the ventilator.
'Our faith is so strong that we don't even think about the possibility of death,' said Jahi's uncle, Omari Sealey. 'We believe with all the prayers from everyone around the world and the prayers with our family that she will wake up, that she will heal completely.'
This afternoon, the 13-year-old girl's family and their attorney declared that the hospital informed them that Jahi would be kept on life support indefinitely, KTVU reported.
'The hospital has now backed off from the efforts to remove live support,' said Dolan.
The family said if the hospital moves to switch off Jahi's life support again, they will take legal action to try to get a court injunction.
'We're not on doctor's time anymore we're on god's time, providing us more time to get together and pray,' said Sealey.
However, experts told the station that no one has ever recovered from being brain dead, and that hospital officials are merely acting out of compassion by keeping the legally dead girl on life support.
The girl's family have created a Facebook page called 'Keep Jahi Mcmath on life support,' which so far has drawn over 2,900 'likes.'
coroner's office told CNN that Jahi's death was reported to the agency
Thursday. Under California state law, pathologists are required to
examine the body as soon as possible and determine the cause and manner
United front: Nailah Winkfield (center), Jahi's uncle, Omari Sealey (far left) and their attorney said they wanted to hospital to keep the girl on the ventilator indefinitely
In Jahi's case, the fear is that the longer her body remains on life support, healing, the more difficult it would be to uncover what went wrong during the surgery, according to the official.
However, Mr Dolan, the family's attorney said that Jahi is a person, not evidence, adding that it is a 'ruse' on the part of the hospital to try and get the girl off the ventilator under the guise of an investigation into her death.
California law states that two doctors must declare a patient brain dead at least three hours apart.
Before the doctors gave their decision to the family, Jahi's heartbroken mother said she had felt that the hospital was pressuring her into switching off her daughter's life support so that they could re-use the bed.
'They just have a social worker follow me around all day long asking me "Do you have any other family that needs to see her?" like trying to put a rush on it,' Winkfield told ABC 7, breaking down.
Chatman had added to the Oakland Tribune that as long as her daughter's heart was beating, they wanted to keep her in the hospital, even if it means spending Christmas in there.
'As long as she has a pulse, we want her on life support,' Sealey said. 'We want her to come home for Christmas. We want to give her presents. We want a chance for a Christmas miracle.'
Apprehensive: Jahi was nervous about undergoing surgery but her mother assured her she'd be fine. As she was recovering, she was bleeding from the mouth and nose and suffered cardiac arrest
Beloved: Jahi's mother Nailah Winkfield said they had wanted to keep her on life support for Christmas
The tragedy unfolded after Jahi went to the hospital for the routine surgery meant to help with her weight gain, incontinence, short attention span and sleep apnea - even though she did not want to.
Her uncle said she had told her mother 'something bad is going to happen to me'.
The child's mother and grandmother Sandra Chatman say hospital staff failed to provide adequate care and attention to the clearly ailing patient.
She underwent the surgery but as she was recovering she started to bleed profusely from her nose and mouth.
'My daughter had actual clots sliding out of her mouth and they gave me a cup and said, "Here, catch them with the cup so we can measure them,"' Winkfield told ABC 7.
Chatman, herself a surgical nurse, said nursing staff did not react until she began screaming for help.
'I was the last one to see Jahi,' said Chatman. 'I said, "Somebody help my baby, please!" And they came in and starting working on her. The next thing I know, the doctor said, "Oh no, she doesn't have a heart rate anymore."'
Investigation: Oakland Children's Hospital said it will investigate what happened after the surgery. As Jahi has been declared legally dead, she will be taken off life support
'There was a lack of urgency,' Jahi McMath's uncle Omari Sealey said. 'It's shock, it's disbelief. You never think something like this will happen to you.'
Jahi went into cardiac arrest and was resuscitated. She was given clotting medication to stop the hemorrhaging, but to no avail.
She spent the following day, Tuesday, on a ventilator, but by 2am on Wednesday doctors said a CT scan has revealed that two-thirds of her brain was swollen. On Thursday, she was declared legally brain-dead, according to the Oakland Tribune.
Spokesperson for Oakland Children's Hospital said in a statement: 'We're very sad about this outcome, about what's happened to her, but at this point I have no information on the details of the surgery.
'We will certainly investigate what happened. In any surgery there are risks and there can be unexpected, unanticipated complications.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
She is known to her family and friends as 'Sleeping Beauty' - but her life is no fairytale. Louisa Ball, 15, sleeps for two weeks at ... Full story
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- Little Rascals star Blake McIver now a buff go-go dancer
- No zoo for you, kid. The US government shutdown hates children
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- Police pull four bracelets, four necklaces, 11 rings and bag of weed from man’s rectum
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Fiat paints naked women to sell car
- American Ebola victim is terrified, say his colleagues as they tell how he dedicated his life to Africa and refused to flee with his young family when virus began to spread
- Mayim Bialik, Husband Michael Stone Finalize Divorce
- Moammar Gaddafi's daughter-in-law in racy photo
- Fire crews continue to fight forest fire in Bacon County
- Tax-free weekend coming up for Alabama, Georgia
- Hamas leader's house hit TWICE in Israeli missile strike and global TV station also targeted after day of fighting that saw 10 people killed on Gaza playground attack
- Math teacher Ashley Anderson, 24, 'who sent students nude pics of herself' admits to having sex with them
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- Twitter discloses diversity numbers — most workers are white or Asian
- How NOT to dive off a diving board
- MN woman Pamela Fahy, NAKED from the waist down busted fleeing bedroom of her 13-year-old's lover by boy's dad
- Beyonce recreates iconic Rosie the Riveter feminist poster in new photo shoot
- Tony Cardenas trolls Darrell Issa with request to build Oversight 'truth pond'
- Unemployment rate increases in Columbus Metro Area
- SCMPD responds to barricaded person on 35th Street
- SC Congressmen want more information on illegal immigrant children being placed in state
- Married Arizona woman Jennifer Dempsey, 35, posed as 16-year-old online to have sex with teen boys
- Craig Heidt Gets Life For Family Slayings
- Drunken woman Kristine Johnson, 20, found wandering college campus parking garage with no underwear on
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Daughter charged with elder abuse after mother died with ROTTING legs
- Verizon boosts FiOS uploads to match downloads
- Microsoft’s parody of ‘Sexy and I Know It’ is most embarrassing thing ever
- Texas doctor who moved to Africa to help ebola patients has contracted the disease which has now spread to Nigeria after an infected businessman boarded a plane
- Serial killer Milton Johnson 'touches heart' of widow, Margaret Seeman, 94
- Facebook revenue soars, defies Wall St expectations
- Mark Zuckerberg is soon to be world’s richest man after Facebook shares hit record high
- From mangled to medical rock star: Shotgun victim who underwent most ambitious face transplant ever performed covers GQ and says he is 'honored to be an experiment'
- New Back River Bridge on schedule to open in October
- Putin has broken Cold War-era nuclear missile testing ban, says US as tensions between nations rise after MH17 crisis
- Georgia's Most Dangerous Cities
- Bullied Utah Boy David Phan, 14, kills himself outside of junior high school in front of other students
- Naked man walks into school's locker room, scares cheerleaders
- So it's not just women! 30% of men admit to faking an orgasm
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|