Jahi McMath case: Family of girl, 13, declared brain-dead from tonsil surgery complications refuse to remove her from life support
- Jahi McMath, 13, went to have her tonsils and adenoids out at Oakland Children's Hospital, California last week
- Afterwards she was bleeding from the nose and mouth, suffered cardiac arrest and was declared brain dead
- Hospital told her heartbroken family that they will switch off her life support as she has been declared legally dead
- Girl's mother and uncle served hospital with cease and desist letter, leading to announcement Tuesday that Jahi will remain on ventilator
- Relatives are convinced that prayers will help McMath wake up
- Experts say no one has ever recovered from being brain dead
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 02:09 EST, 18 December 2013 | UPDATED: 02:25 EST, 18 December 2013
The family of a 13-year-old California girl who was declared brain dead last week, three days after undergoing a routine tonsillectomy to cure her sleep apnea, are determined to keep her on life support indefinitely against the hospital's wishes.
Speaking to CNN's Piers Morgan Tuesday night, Nailah Winkfield, the mother of Jahi McMath, said she believed her daughter could still wake up.
'I don't want to take my daughter off life support because I love my child,' an emotional Miss Winkfield said. 'When I walked her into that hospital, she was perfectly fine, there was nothing wrong with her. She had no health problems.'
Loss: Jahi McMath, 13, suffered cardiac arrest after having her tonsils out and has been declared brain dead. The hospital will now switch off her life support, even though her family does not want to
The mother recounted how when Jahi emerged from surgery to remove her tonsils at Children's Hospital & Research Center in Oakland lastTuesday, the 13-year-old said her throat was hurting and she wanted a Popsicle.
'I don't want her off life support because I really feel like she can wake up,' Nailah Winkfield told Morgan. 'I feel like it's just been a rough week for her and, if they just give her some more time, then she'll be able to wake up.'
Jahi's family have since presented the hospital with a cease and desist letter through their attorney, Christopher Dolan, to prevent the teen from being taken off the ventilator.
'Our faith is so strong that we don't even think about the possibility of death,' said Jahi's uncle, Omari Sealey. 'We believe with all the prayers from everyone around the world and the prayers with our family that she will wake up, that she will heal completely.'
This afternoon, the 13-year-old girl's family and their attorney declared that the hospital informed them that Jahi would be kept on life support indefinitely, KTVU reported.
'The hospital has now backed off from the efforts to remove live support,' said Dolan.
The family said if the hospital moves to switch off Jahi's life support again, they will take legal action to try to get a court injunction.
'We're not on doctor's time anymore we're on god's time, providing us more time to get together and pray,' said Sealey.
However, experts told the station that no one has ever recovered from being brain dead, and that hospital officials are merely acting out of compassion by keeping the legally dead girl on life support.
The girl's family have created a Facebook page called 'Keep Jahi Mcmath on life support,' which so far has drawn over 2,900 'likes.'
coroner's office told CNN that Jahi's death was reported to the agency
Thursday. Under California state law, pathologists are required to
examine the body as soon as possible and determine the cause and manner
United front: Nailah Winkfield (center), Jahi's uncle, Omari Sealey (far left) and their attorney said they wanted to hospital to keep the girl on the ventilator indefinitely
In Jahi's case, the fear is that the longer her body remains on life support, healing, the more difficult it would be to uncover what went wrong during the surgery, according to the official.
However, Mr Dolan, the family's attorney said that Jahi is a person, not evidence, adding that it is a 'ruse' on the part of the hospital to try and get the girl off the ventilator under the guise of an investigation into her death.
California law states that two doctors must declare a patient brain dead at least three hours apart.
Before the doctors gave their decision to the family, Jahi's heartbroken mother said she had felt that the hospital was pressuring her into switching off her daughter's life support so that they could re-use the bed.
'They just have a social worker follow me around all day long asking me "Do you have any other family that needs to see her?" like trying to put a rush on it,' Winkfield told ABC 7, breaking down.
Chatman had added to the Oakland Tribune that as long as her daughter's heart was beating, they wanted to keep her in the hospital, even if it means spending Christmas in there.
'As long as she has a pulse, we want her on life support,' Sealey said. 'We want her to come home for Christmas. We want to give her presents. We want a chance for a Christmas miracle.'
Apprehensive: Jahi was nervous about undergoing surgery but her mother assured her she'd be fine. As she was recovering, she was bleeding from the mouth and nose and suffered cardiac arrest
Beloved: Jahi's mother Nailah Winkfield said they had wanted to keep her on life support for Christmas
The tragedy unfolded after Jahi went to the hospital for the routine surgery meant to help with her weight gain, incontinence, short attention span and sleep apnea - even though she did not want to.
Her uncle said she had told her mother 'something bad is going to happen to me'.
The child's mother and grandmother Sandra Chatman say hospital staff failed to provide adequate care and attention to the clearly ailing patient.
She underwent the surgery but as she was recovering she started to bleed profusely from her nose and mouth.
'My daughter had actual clots sliding out of her mouth and they gave me a cup and said, "Here, catch them with the cup so we can measure them,"' Winkfield told ABC 7.
Chatman, herself a surgical nurse, said nursing staff did not react until she began screaming for help.
'I was the last one to see Jahi,' said Chatman. 'I said, "Somebody help my baby, please!" And they came in and starting working on her. The next thing I know, the doctor said, "Oh no, she doesn't have a heart rate anymore."'
Investigation: Oakland Children's Hospital said it will investigate what happened after the surgery. As Jahi has been declared legally dead, she will be taken off life support
'There was a lack of urgency,' Jahi McMath's uncle Omari Sealey said. 'It's shock, it's disbelief. You never think something like this will happen to you.'
Jahi went into cardiac arrest and was resuscitated. She was given clotting medication to stop the hemorrhaging, but to no avail.
She spent the following day, Tuesday, on a ventilator, but by 2am on Wednesday doctors said a CT scan has revealed that two-thirds of her brain was swollen. On Thursday, she was declared legally brain-dead, according to the Oakland Tribune.
Spokesperson for Oakland Children's Hospital said in a statement: 'We're very sad about this outcome, about what's happened to her, but at this point I have no information on the details of the surgery.
'We will certainly investigate what happened. In any surgery there are risks and there can be unexpected, unanticipated complications.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
WHO runs the world? Beyoncé. But she wants other women to join in on the fun, too. Queen Bey flew her feminist flag high today ... Full story
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Manchester United 7-0 LA Galaxy: Wayne Rooney, Reece James and Ashley Young doubles ensure perfect start for Louis van Gaal
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- Jenny McCarthy is 'terrified' after screwing over Oprah
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- More than $50 million stolen from unguarded van belonging to Libya's Central Bank
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- How not to react in a debate: TV discussion about Gaza and Syria turns violent
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Suspect flees in car of woman shot, killed in Smyrna
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- killer Joseph Rudolph Wood WILL be executed after Arizona court halted lethal injection
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- Thanksgiving Storm: Freezing weather spreads as storm heads toward U.S. East Coast
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Pro-Russian looters pulled Tesco binoculars from British MH17 victim's suitcase - but threw them back because they were broken
- Justin Bieber makes it rain cash at strip club
- FaceTime not working on your iPad or iphone? Here’s the fix
- Moment hero cop and driver took down assault rifle-toting gunman after he went on a terrifying twenty minute rampage
- A giant haggis, cabers, golf clubs, 41 Scottish terriers, Rod Stewart, Billy Connolly, the Queen, lashings of self-deprecation and even a gay kiss - Glasgow's Commonwealth Games begin in style
- Amazon seeks permission from United States Federal Aviation Administration for drone tests
- At last, some dignity for the victims of MH17: 40 hearses and thousands of mourners line highways to pay respects
- Captain America drops action-heavy first trailer
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Mars heiress worth $20.5billion charged with reckless driving over fatal head-on crash with minivan which killed grandmother, 86
- Dutch call for Putin's daughter to be deported after it is discovered she lives in Holland with her boyfriend: Ukrainians also plan protest outside her apartment
- Igor Girkin says 'MH17 bodies aren't fresh' as he claims corpses had been 'dead for days'
- Serena Williams wants to play tennis until she's 40
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- Police: Officer opens fire on sword-wielding man Julian Faulkner
- Verizon boosts FiOS uploads to match downloads
- How low can he go? Boy, 6, breaks world record after he rollerskates under 39 cars parked just five inches off the ground
- Moment a video vigilante filmed a WalMart shoplifter making off with a grocery cart full of stolen items before fleeing with the loot in an SUV
- Arizona inmate Joseph Rudolph Wood dies 2 HOURS after execution began
- Where did the Diet Coke hunk’s nipples go?
- Two flee scene after chase, crash in Walthourville
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- Simon Cowell trolled over donation to Israeli soldiers' organisation
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Former Atlanta officer Joshua Sieck indicted after fatal crash
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|