Man accused of beating his high school sweetheart wife to death on Christmas Day
More from Regional
- 14-year-old girl charged in fatal Chicago shooting of Endia Martin
- Courtney Ann Sanford dies in car crash while posting about ‘Happy’
- Former Fortune 500 exec Robert Dellinger charged with murder
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- Cops say Christopher Saenz, 30, beat wife Hillary Saenz, 29, to death on Christmas Day in their Ellsworth, Maine home
- The pair married as teenagers and have two children together
- A long-time neighbor believes drugs may have been a factor
By Ryan Gorman and Associated Press Reporter
PUBLISHED: 20:35 EST, 29 December 2013 | UPDATED: 21:03 EST, 29 December 2013
A Maine man stands accused of beating his high school sweetheart wife to death on Christmas Day.
Hilary Saenz, 29, was found dead by paramedics after husband Christopher Saenz, 30, called them to their home Christmas Day. He was arrested after the cause of death was determined to be blunt force trauma.
The couple married in their teens and have two children together, according to reports. One neighbor told a local television station the violent man has a drug problem that likely led to the woman’s murder.
Happier times: Hilary and Chris Saenz flash smiles in a recent picture
A family shattered: Ms Saenz is dead, her husband sits in jail and their two children are with relatives
Paramedics arrived Wednesday afternoon to the couple’s Ellsworth apartment to find the young mother dead.
A subsequent autopsy found that Ms Saenz died from blunt force trauma, the paper said.
Mr Saenz was arrested and charged with murder, his children taken to relatives.
A long-time friend and neighbour of the couple told WLBZ of the man’s issues.
‘He struggled with, I guess, drugs his whole life,’ Chris Card told the station. ‘She never did anything like that – she didn’t drink, she didn’t smoke – and he took advantage of that.
‘She just kept taking him back.’
House of horrors: Ms Saenz was beaten to death in her home by her husband on Christmas Day, police say
Mr Card described Ms Saenz as ‘a super mom… who always had a smile.’
The devoted woman worked two jobs to support her family, Mr Card said. It is not clear if the children witnessed the brutal attack.
‘I spoke to quite a few people, and the people who know him know what happened,’ he added, ‘ we all know what happened.’
Mr Saenz is due in court sometime this week.
Christmas will never be the same for the couple’s 12-year-old daughter and eight-year-old son.