'We heard a pop like pottery cracking': Parents heartbroken as baby girl dies after skull and spine were broken during forceps delivery
- Rachel Melancon and Allen Coats plan to sue obstetrician and Texas hospital
- Couple claim doctor pulled with such force he had foot up on table
- Baby Olivia Marie died five days after traumatic delivery
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 16:53 EST, 3 January 2014 | UPDATED: 16:53 EST, 3 January 2014
The parents of a baby girl who died after her skull was crushed during a forceps delivery are suing the Texas hospital where she was born.
Rachel Melancon had experienced a healthy pregnancy, but when a doctor at the Medical Center of Southeast Texas used forceps during the birth on December 28 it had devastating consequences.
As the medical device was clamped around her baby's head, the 24-year-old and her fiance Allen Coats claim they heard a popping sound as their daughter's skull was crushed.
Heartbroken: Allen Coats and Rachel Melancon with baby Olivia whose skull was crushed during an attempted forceps delivery
Damage: Baby Olivia was born with a fractured skull and broken spinal cord, which left her brain damaged
The baby girl, named Olivia Marie, survived for five more days after being left brain damaged and with a fractured skull and severed spinal cord.
Her parents plan to sue their obstetrician, Dr George T Backardjiev, and the Medical Center of Southeast Texas.
The couple have also started a Facebook campaign page to petition against the use of forceps in all births.
Ms Melancon, at 4ft 11in and weighing 95lb before she became pregnant, had asked for a cesarean section when her baby was overdue and large, considering her mother's petite frame.
But doctors warned her against having that type of delivery, saying she'd be left with a scar, her mother-in-law Angie Coats told ABC News.
After going into labor, baby Oliva's heart rate was increasing but the expectant mom kept being told to wait.
'It was 18 hours until the delivery. [Rachel] was running a 103 fever ... Five hours passed, then [the obstetrician] came in and she started to push. But she was so worn out and the baby wasn't even in the birth canal,' Ms Coats said.
Hope: Rachel had experienced a healthy pregnancy and the couple were looking forward to their baby's arrival
Difficulties: Rachel had asked for a C-section because she was overdue and her baby was comparatively large for her petite 4ft 11in frame. Her request was turned down
Campaign: Rachel and Allen, pictured with Olivia, have started a petition to have forceps banned
She claimed the baby was facing the wrong way and Dr Backardjiev tried to turn her with his hands.
'When he couldn't do that, he took the
small forceps to try to pull the baby out. He kept going and even put
his foot up on the bed trying to pull,' she said.
'When he touched the top and side of the skull, we heard a pop, like clay cracking in pottery and heard her skull crush.'
Ms Melancon was rushed off for an emergency cesarean but when Olivia was finally delivered the family say she was unable breathe.
Their baby was rushed to Hermann Hospital, where the parents were told that she had suffered numerous fractures.
In a post on their Facebook page, Ms Melancon said she heard
'2 big popping sounds (it was her skull)' as the doctor used the
She claimed her baby was then left in the birth canal while the doctor stitched Ms Melancon up before she could have the emergency C-section.
'I felt her pulled out of me and the room was silent. No crying baby and they told Allen to leave the room. That's the last I remember before waking up to my baby girl lifeless,' she said in a heartbreaking post.
The parents kept a vigil at Olivia's bedside for five days before she was taken off life support.
Her heart valve and tissue behind her legs and knees were donated to save another baby's life.
Devastating: Baby Olivia was kept on life support for five days before she finally died
Letting go: Olivia's parents, who kept a vigil at her bedside, donated her heart valve to save another baby
Hospital chief executive Matt Roberts released a statement saying that Olivia's death 'rips at our hearts'.
The statement added that the hospital could not comment on specific cases but confirmed that a review would be carried out.
As well as a Facebook page to detail their experiences and raise awareness, the couple have set up a Go Fund Me page to try to pass Olivia's Law to ban the use of forceps.
Skull fractures are a risk during forceps births. The Mayo Clinic advises: 'Keep in mind that whenever a forceps delivery is recommended, a C-section is typically also an option.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- John Thomas wins Muscogee County School Board District 2 seat
- Police release pictures of clothes girl, 15, was wearing when she went missing before mysteriously reappearing nine months later
- Brazilian TV model Pamela Nascimento dies during liposuction
- Facebook selfie helps police identify fraud suspect as Tanya Peel
- Hasan tops Finnegan in District 6 commission race
- Victim of Marietta college shooting identified as 23-year-old Jason Moore
- Bullied Utah Boy David Phan, 14, kills himself outside of junior high school in front of other students
- The 15 tycoons who refuse to leave their fortunes to their children
- Islamic Center sign in Alpharetta vandalized
- Naked Miley Cyrus picture leaked online after sexting? Depends on who you ask
- Police: Associate Pastor Derek Moses Shot Dead
- Shaw High School recognized with Top Honors at FBLA Nat’l Leadership Conference
- EXCLUSIVE: 11ft, 50lb Python found in backyard of north Columbus home
- Your Voice, Your Vote: Georgia Primary Runoff Election
- Mothers who have epidural may be less likely to suffer post-natal depression
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- Soldier's mother in rock attack may NEVER see again after doctors remove parts of brain
- Ohio man David Hayes sues casino in Columbus after $38,000 in gambling winnings stolen
- 'When do we accept we have reached the end and can't play God?' Nelson Mandela's daughter Maki tells of the 'excruciating' time of her father's dying months
- Can't sleep in the heat? Put your sheets in the fridge and whatever you do, DON'T sleep naked!
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Douglas County teen Krysten Rowe survives flesh-eating bacteria
- The Queen must not have shellfish and how Obama hates beetroot: Members of elite club of chefs who cook for world's leaders reveal some of their secrets
- Runoffs set fields for November elections
- Georgia Lottery partners with Kia Motors for 21st birthday
- CSU Professor speaks on crisis in the Middle East
- Kari Lynn Bryan: Educator accused of having sex with special needs student
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- 'Freak' published with student's name in yearbook
- Shocking website Shefights.net shows videos of homeless men getting beaten by half-naked beauties
- Pharmacy Owner Babubhai Patel Accused Of Fraud Wants Out Of Jail
- School guidance counselor Tiffany Webb fired over racy lingerie photos that she posed for 17 YEARS ago
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Women: DeKalb officer Jeremy Reynolds asked for sexual favors to avoid jail
- Perdue defeats Kingston in Georgia Senate runoff
- Steward who changed flights to work MH17 at the last minute had wife who had swapped OFF MH370
- American tourist, 25, found dead in Rio De Janeiro forest after 'falling into a ravine'
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- DUI suspect Sherri Wilkins 'drives more than 2 miles with man she fatally struck stuck in the windshield of her car'
- Stacey Schoeck: Cheating mother-of-three hired gym instructor called 'Mr Results' to shoot dead her fifth husband
- Chicago teacher Bridgette Miller 'had sex with 17-year-old student in her classroom and in a Walgreens parking lot'
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|