'We heard a pop like pottery cracking': Parents heartbroken as baby girl dies after skull and spine were broken during forceps delivery
- Rachel Melancon and Allen Coats plan to sue obstetrician and Texas hospital
- Couple claim doctor pulled with such force he had foot up on table
- Baby Olivia Marie died five days after traumatic delivery
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 16:53 EST, 3 January 2014 | UPDATED: 16:53 EST, 3 January 2014
The parents of a baby girl who died after her skull was crushed during a forceps delivery are suing the Texas hospital where she was born.
Rachel Melancon had experienced a healthy pregnancy, but when a doctor at the Medical Center of Southeast Texas used forceps during the birth on December 28 it had devastating consequences.
As the medical device was clamped around her baby's head, the 24-year-old and her fiance Allen Coats claim they heard a popping sound as their daughter's skull was crushed.
Heartbroken: Allen Coats and Rachel Melancon with baby Olivia whose skull was crushed during an attempted forceps delivery
Damage: Baby Olivia was born with a fractured skull and broken spinal cord, which left her brain damaged
The baby girl, named Olivia Marie, survived for five more days after being left brain damaged and with a fractured skull and severed spinal cord.
Her parents plan to sue their obstetrician, Dr George T Backardjiev, and the Medical Center of Southeast Texas.
The couple have also started a Facebook campaign page to petition against the use of forceps in all births.
Ms Melancon, at 4ft 11in and weighing 95lb before she became pregnant, had asked for a cesarean section when her baby was overdue and large, considering her mother's petite frame.
But doctors warned her against having that type of delivery, saying she'd be left with a scar, her mother-in-law Angie Coats told ABC News.
After going into labor, baby Oliva's heart rate was increasing but the expectant mom kept being told to wait.
'It was 18 hours until the delivery. [Rachel] was running a 103 fever ... Five hours passed, then [the obstetrician] came in and she started to push. But she was so worn out and the baby wasn't even in the birth canal,' Ms Coats said.
Hope: Rachel had experienced a healthy pregnancy and the couple were looking forward to their baby's arrival
Difficulties: Rachel had asked for a C-section because she was overdue and her baby was comparatively large for her petite 4ft 11in frame. Her request was turned down
Campaign: Rachel and Allen, pictured with Olivia, have started a petition to have forceps banned
She claimed the baby was facing the wrong way and Dr Backardjiev tried to turn her with his hands.
'When he couldn't do that, he took the
small forceps to try to pull the baby out. He kept going and even put
his foot up on the bed trying to pull,' she said.
'When he touched the top and side of the skull, we heard a pop, like clay cracking in pottery and heard her skull crush.'
Ms Melancon was rushed off for an emergency cesarean but when Olivia was finally delivered the family say she was unable breathe.
Their baby was rushed to Hermann Hospital, where the parents were told that she had suffered numerous fractures.
In a post on their Facebook page, Ms Melancon said she heard
'2 big popping sounds (it was her skull)' as the doctor used the
She claimed her baby was then left in the birth canal while the doctor stitched Ms Melancon up before she could have the emergency C-section.
'I felt her pulled out of me and the room was silent. No crying baby and they told Allen to leave the room. That's the last I remember before waking up to my baby girl lifeless,' she said in a heartbreaking post.
The parents kept a vigil at Olivia's bedside for five days before she was taken off life support.
Her heart valve and tissue behind her legs and knees were donated to save another baby's life.
Devastating: Baby Olivia was kept on life support for five days before she finally died
Letting go: Olivia's parents, who kept a vigil at her bedside, donated her heart valve to save another baby
Hospital chief executive Matt Roberts released a statement saying that Olivia's death 'rips at our hearts'.
The statement added that the hospital could not comment on specific cases but confirmed that a review would be carried out.
As well as a Facebook page to detail their experiences and raise awareness, the couple have set up a Go Fund Me page to try to pass Olivia's Law to ban the use of forceps.
Skull fractures are a risk during forceps births. The Mayo Clinic advises: 'Keep in mind that whenever a forceps delivery is recommended, a C-section is typically also an option.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
A high school teacher in Utah has been arrested for allegedly having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student who was able to accurately describe ... Full story
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- How NOT to dive off a diving board
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Tiffany York: Stepfather of girl, 17, killed by soldiers planning to assassinate the President lunges at them in court
- 'No school tomorrow, all the children in Gaza are dead': Far-right Israelis sing sickening chants in the street to celebrate latest deaths of Palestinian infants
- Taking the kids -- to Alaska's Camp Denali and celebrating a special anniversary
- Airports alert over Ebola: Passengers from Africa who show symptoms will be sent to secure isolation units
- 3 men Sebastian Andrade, Cory Ben-Hanania and Kevin McCaffrey charged in death of Johns Creek woman
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Verizon boosts FiOS uploads to match downloads
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- Twitter discloses diversity numbers — most workers are white or Asian
- Woman was born with no vagina; can't have sex or babies
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- American doctor Kent Brantly battling deadly Ebola virus says he is 'terrified'
- The Facebook photo of a high school basketball coach Laraine Cook being groped by her fiance that got her fired
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Beyonce recreates iconic Rosie the Riveter feminist poster in new photo shoot
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Obama hauls Central American leaders to White House to order them to stop immigration flood - but they blame HIM for 'ambiguous' policies
- Dr Kent Brantly battling Ebola passes up potentially life-saving experimental serum so his American colleague can have it
- Black man tries to buy $1300 watch, gets arrested
- Microsoft’s parody of ‘Sexy and I Know It’ is most embarrassing thing ever
- McStay Family Update: Human remains found in Mojave Desert belong to Calif. family missing since 2010, relative says
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- Manchester United 7-0 LA Galaxy: Wayne Rooney, Reece James and Ashley Young doubles ensure perfect start for Louis van Gaal
- UN official breaks down on air as the bloody horror of the Gaza conflict take an obvious emotional toll
- Kylie Jenner and Scott get the finger from rude model
- Eat for heart health
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam )
- 'MH17 lost speed, altitude and veered 14km off course before being tailed by Ukrainian jet': Sensational claims from Russia who say 'all will be revealed in the black box'
- Paulding woman Tina Waddell attacked, seriously injured on Silver Comet Trail
- Teens Charles Horton, Joshua Carney Arrested in Athens BB Gun Shootings
- Jaimie Alexander Goes Without Underwear in Shocking Sheer Dress With Body-Flashing Cutouts: Pictures
- USB security flaw that lets hackers take over computers discovered
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- Jenny McCarthy is 'terrified' after screwing over Oprah
- Plastic Container Symbols for Food Grade Plastics
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- Rabbi Noah Muroff finds $100K of forgotten cash in desk bought on Craigslist
- 'What have they got to hide?': Obama condemns Putin for failing to stop Russian-backed rebels from 'tampering' with evidence and bodies at MH17 crash site
- Faysal Himon, NYC cab driver, avoids charges in accident that left tourist without a foot, report says
- McDonald’s, KFC and Pizza Hut in expired food scandal in China
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|