AJ Dicken found out to be a fraud after 'securing half-billion dollar security contract'
- A.J. Dicken made massive claims about his completely fictitious military background, saying he was a Navy SEAL and ex-CIA
- Was actually a Nevada-based bartender with a criminal record
- Launched a military-style training camp and later a security company that won a contract from a group associated with the U.N.
- After his employees began asking questions, he went into hiding
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 19:14 EST, 3 January 2014 | UPDATED: 19:25 EST, 3 January 2014
A man claiming to be one of the most decorated Navy SEALs in military history has been rooted out as a fraud after swindling investors for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
A.J. Dicken went all the way while weaving fictitious connections to the elite army force, claiming that he was the one who fired the kill shot during the Osama bin Laden raid.
The al Qaeda leader wasn't the only international warlord that he brought down either, he said, as he also told confidantes and would-be employees that he was responsible for killing Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar.
Facing the facts: A.J. Dicken, 57, is a former bartender with a criminal record who pretended to be a Navy SEAL with numerous awards and major declarations to his name
In the know: True Navy SEALs had been trying to put an end to Dicken's lies but it was too late for a number of investors who helped him launch a security company that took hundreds of thousands of dollars to run
'He wouldn't tell these outrageous stories just right off the bat,' Carol Roberts told ABC's 20/20 about Dicken.
She met him at a military-style training camp that he launched in Carson City, Nevada where she met him.
'He would drop little bits of things that are plausible. And he would tailor that plausibility story to each person, knowing what they knew,' she said.
In fact, Dicken had no military history and was a 57-year-old former bartender with a criminal record.
His ruse was not just intended to win him some enamored fans but also some serious cash.
After launching his training camp, he got the backing of two doctors who were happy to invest in his up-and-coming defense company that he called Global Resources and Logistics. The company went on to win a contract from a group affiliated with the United Nations that was valued at an alleged half-billion dollars.
Making a name: Dicken first launched a military-style training camp in Nevada using his alleged 'expertise' from his fake career in the SEALs and the CIA
That meant a big take-home profit for all involved, including the two doctors who invested $850,000 in the company to get it up and running.
Dicken asked Ms Roberts to work with him and she agreed to help launch the company and go on their first contracted mission to Burundi after seeing his falsified documents.
He had discharge papers- that he printed off the internet- as well as two fraudulent Medals of Honor and a fake email of praise from Col. Oliver North, the former United States Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel best known for his connection to the Iran Contra scandal.
She only began to suspect that something was awry when they arrived in Burundi. On their second night, the power in the hotel went out and Dicken unlike that of an experienced military commander.
'He freaked out, picked up his phone... runs into the other room talking to the CIA to have them reposition his satellite so he can make sure that the rebels aren't coming to get him. He says, "alpha, bravo, niner, niner, six, two, the fishing is good in Catalina,"' she told 20/20.
Trouble brewing: The company that he launched- with the help of $850,000 from investors- took up a contract in Burundi and his employees said his erratic behavior while there sparked their doubts
Digging: It was then that they looked him up online and found this video of actual Navy SEAL Don Shipley who took to the web to vent about all of the lies that Dicken had been spewing
Another American who traveled to Africa with Dicken began questioning the situation once they touched down.
'None of the major players there in Burundi... knew who we were, what we were doing there,' chief pilot Mike Reynolds said to ABC.
'I mean, the stuff he was coming up with is just— it was insane... the whole situation there was dangerous.'
It was only then that Roberts and Reynolds began to really dig into Dicken's background and they were not reassured by what they found.
Apparently they weren't the first to question his credentials, as a true former Navy SEAL had made it his mission to stop people from believing Dicken's story.
Senior Chief Don Shipley runs a similar training camp in Virginia and also fields calls from potential employers looking to verify people who claim to be Navy SEALs.
'I verify, on average, at least 20 fraudulent SEAL claims a day,' Shipley said to ABC.
Next problem: Dicken remains in hiding but, because of his prior felony convictions that forbid him from owning firearms, he now faces illegal weapons charges
The Dicken case stuck with him, however, and he got so frustrated by having to continually deny his false claims that Shipley made a video talking to the camera about how angry Dicken's story made him.
'Oh, he says he has got two Medals of Honor, that hasn't happened since World War I... a POW? There's no listing. A.J. has a mental problem, and I go after the worst of the worst.' Shipley said.
After seeing the video online, Roberts and Reynolds got back to Nevada and told the investors about Dicken’s true background. Once they began asking questions, Dicken fled- originally to his parent’s house in California and then to a remote part of Alabama- moving whenever a local news affiliate started digging into his claims.
It is unclear how he and his former investors have left their relationship, but Dicken still has to deal with pending criminal charges.
Once his military background was proved false and his criminal record was found instead, that meant that he could face felony firearm charges since convicted felons are not allowed to own fire arms which is tricky for him as he promoted his training camp with videos of him firing a number of high-powered rifles.
When 20/20, which airs the full investigation Friday night, approached Dicken at his rural Alabama home, he refused to comment and said nothing about his web of lies.
WATCH THE VIDEO HERE
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
WHO runs the world? Beyoncé. But she wants other women to join in on the fun, too. Queen Bey flew her feminist flag high today ... Full story
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Beyonce and Jay Z wear matching ski masks in new poster announcing their summer tour On The Run Star
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Crash victims survive after car is crushed flat by lorry's shipping container load
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Female 'separatist' posts Instagram selfie with mascara 'looted' from MH17 crash site
- Kangaroo kicks up a fuss in West Texas town, but is it a k-rime?
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- Dontrell Darling: Fla. boy, 9, shot in face in drive-by while sleeping in his home
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- 10 ways to improve your body
- Footage of woman with airport alligator shows they took train to Chicago's O'Hare airport
- Mystery of creepy dolls left outside California homes that resemble the little girls who live there
- killer Joseph Rudolph Wood WILL be executed after Arizona court halted lethal injection
- Antonio Brown accused of dangling child from overpass while drunk and dressed as a clown
- White Republican Dave Wilson wins election in inner city Houston after PRETENDING to be African-American in campaign flyers
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Manchester United 7-0 LA Galaxy: Wayne Rooney, Reece James and Ashley Young doubles ensure perfect start for Louis van Gaal
- Homeowner makes astonishing TV boast about shooting 'pregnant' home invader dead as she pleaded for mercy - as police say her ACCOMPLICE could be charged with her murder
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
- Drunken mockery of U.S. tourists in the wake of 9/11 returns to haunt soccer star Lampard as he prepares to sign for NYC team
- Golfing buddies make parody of Queen's iconic hit Bohemian Rhapsody
- Man can compete against father's GHOST in Xbox racing game Rally Sports Challenge
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Dan Markel murdered with shot to head as police release photo of Toyota Prius seen nearby
- Man goes to hospital for circumcision, wakes up with no penis
- Pro-Russian looters pulled Tesco binoculars from British MH17 victim's suitcase - but threw them back because they were broken
- Couple killed in Virginia campsite tornado as their son fights for his life
- Steward who changed flights to work MH17 at the last minute had wife who had swapped OFF MH370
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- 'Hamas militants' rounded up by Israeli soldiers during Gaza offensive
- MH17 investigators find more bodies and parts of passenger jet
- Indian rape suspects lie beaten after 7-year-old girl found hanging from tree
- Fancy a bite? Woman hauls in massive 143.7kg tuna south of Sydney that is big enough to feed an entire suburb
- Two Hinesville fire fighters injured in explosion Thursday morning.
- Daughter holds 'wedding' ceremony so her terminally ill father can walk her down the aisle
- US weighs refugee status for Central American kids
- Pregnant woman, 27, arrested 'after posting a selfie on Facebook wearing a stolen dress'
- Teacher 'had sex with student in house near middle school for over a year'
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|