Ohio condemned death row inmate David McGuire at risk of 'terrifying suffocation-like syndrome'
- Ohio's untried execution could cause killer David McGuire to experience 'air hunger' during planned death next week
- McGuire, 53, is on death row for the rape and fatal stabbing of Joy Stewart in Ohio in 1989
- Anesthesiologist testifies that Ohio's execution drugs could cause Stewart to experience terror as he strains to catch his breath
By Associated Press and Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 14:10 EST, 10 January 2014 | UPDATED: 18:40 EST, 10 January 2014
Condemned: This undated file photo shows death row inmate Dennis McGuire, who raped and murdered a pregnant woman in 1989
An Ohio inmate facing execution next week from an untried method is at substantial risk of a medical phenomenon known as air hunger.
This would cause condemned killer David McGuire, 53, to experience terror as he strains to catch his breath, an anesthesiologist testified Friday at a federal court hearing.
Because McGuire has several characteristics of sleep apnea, or the struggle to breathe while asleep, the chances are even greater he will be subjected to feelings of suffocation, an expert warned.
'Mr. McGuire is at a substantial risk
of experiencing the terror of air hunger during the first five minutes
of the execution,' Professor David Waisel, of Harvard Medical School,
'Air hunger is a horrible feeling,' Waisel added. 'It's the inability to get your breath.'
Waisel is a witness for defense attorneys trying to stop McGuire's
execution next Thursday. He testified at the beginning of a two-day
hearing on the state's new lethal drug process.
plans to use intravenous doses of two drugs, midazolam, a sedative, and
hydromorphone, a painkiller, to put McGuire to death.
method has been part of Ohio's execution process since 2009, though
never used. It was chosen because of a shortage of other lethal
The state says its own anesthesiology expert is ready to argue that experiments have shown nothing of the sort will happen.
Experimental: McGuire is scheduled to be executed next week at this facility but an expert has testified that he may experience terror as he strains to catch his breath due to Ohio's untested execution method
Punishment: The death chamber at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville. Ohio plans to use intravenous doses of two drugs, midazolam, a sedative, and hydromorphone, a painkiller, to put McGuire to death
Such dueling arguments have taken place often in federal judge Gregory Frost's courtroom over the years. Frost has heard numerous arguments for and against Ohio's lethal injection process.
He has never ruled the drugs themselves unconstitutional, but he has at times harshly criticized the state for conducting haphazard executions by not closely following its own policies.
McGuire, 53, was sentenced to die for the 1989 rape and fatal stabbing of Joy Stewart in Preble County in western Ohio. The 22-year-old Stewart was newly married and pregnant.
will experience the agony and terror of air hunger as he struggles to
breathe for five minutes after defendants intravenously inject him with
the execution drugs,' the inmate's attorneys said in a Monday court
Victim: McGuire, 53, was sentenced to die for the 1989 rape and fatal stabbing of Joy Stewart in Preble County in western Ohio. The 22-year-old Stewart was newly married and pregnant
Higher courts have twice rejected claims that the drugs pose a risk of severe pain, the state argued in opposing McGuire's attempt to stop his execution.
The state says that because courts have upheld the use of those drugs in the backup method, McGuire can't challenge their use just because they are to be given intravenously.
There is no excuse for not raising
this claim years ago, 'much less presenting it for the first time in an
eleventh-hour stay of execution,' lawyers for the Ohio attorney
general's office said in their filing.
Wednesday, McGuire's attorneys filed a separate appeal with the U.S.
Supreme Court, saying information about his chaotic childhood of abuse
and neglect could have prevented him from being sentenced to death if it
was presented at trial.
filings argue McGuire was so malnourished as a child that his stomach
was swollen and distended. He also had to frequently steal food for
himself and his younger sister, the appeal said.
was physically abused by at least four different parental figures and
shows signs of brain damage from head trauma, the attorneys said.
The filings say jurors who sentenced McGuire to death never got to hear the full extent of his chaotic childhood because his trial attorneys didn't properly investigate reasons he should be spared.
Even without the full picture of McGuire's life, a juror held out for 12 hours before relenting, a sign that a full investigation might have led to a different outcome, the lawyers said.
In Ohio, one juror can block a death sentence by voting against it. The state's response to that claim is expected Monday.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- Outrage as 76-year-old man ARRESTED at town hall meeting for asking board members to speak louder
- How not to react in a debate: TV discussion about Gaza and Syria turns violent
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Fears Americans died in MH71 crash: State department investigates agency report 23 US citizens were aboard flight shot down over Ukraine
- Goldman Sachs MD Nicholas Valtz found dead after kiteboarding outing
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Wrong-way drunk driver dies in crash that killed two women
- Husband caught teacher wife Amie Neely, 38, having sex with exchange student, 16, after tracking her via GPS phone app
- Police: Pregnant woman Danielle Saxton posted selfies in stolen dress
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- Dontrell Darling: Fla. boy, 9, shot in face in drive-by while sleeping in his home
- Man, 97, is thrown out of retirement home for 'playing ukulele too much'
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Pregnant woman, 27, arrested 'after posting a selfie on Facebook wearing a stolen dress'
- WWE Russian-themed characters slammed for using MH17 tragedy as part of act
- Pregnant teen Brooke Slocum strangled and boyfriend decapitated after Craigslist sex meeting with stranger
- Teacher's aide and mother of two Clarice Lee 'had sex with three students while three others watched and videotaped
- Retired couple strangled to death over $120 by two men hired to do chores
- American tourist, 25, found dead in Rio De Janeiro forest after 'falling into a ravine'
- Man 'has sex with dog on camera'
- Chinese man trying to con driver into thinking she'd run him over, is run over
- Is this proof British Open winner Rory McIlroy is dating Nadia Forde?
- Firefighter calendar pin-up Taylor Murphy accused in brutal beating of transsexual girlfriend Claudia Charriez
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Clayton Board Member Trinia Garrett Accused of Downloading Porn
- Snapchat reveals geofilters that can only be unlocked in the right place
- Chris Brown enters rehab for anger issues
- Palestinian civilian 'shot dead by Israeli sniper as he desperately searched for family'
- Falmouth Family loses 2 sons weeks apart
- Out of this world! Bikini-clad Kim Kardashian channels blond Barbarella for Beach Bunny Swimwear ad
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- Angry Customer Melodi Dushane Loses It at McDonald's Drive-Thru over McNuggets
- Women: DeKalb officer Jeremy Reynolds asked for sexual favors to avoid jail
- DeKalb man William Matthews Simmons accused of inappropriate relationship with 15-year-old boy
- Ex-Gossip Girl sweetheart Taylor Momsen shocks with new music video, Going To Hell
- First aerial images emerge showing the 8 square miles of devastation caused by shot down MH17
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Miley Cyrus flashes the flesh in Lil' Kim-inspired outfit
- Steward who changed flights to work MH17 at the last minute had wife who had swapped OFF MH370
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|