Ohio condemned death row inmate David McGuire at risk of 'terrifying suffocation-like syndrome'
- Ohio's untried execution could cause killer David McGuire to experience 'air hunger' during planned death next week
- McGuire, 53, is on death row for the rape and fatal stabbing of Joy Stewart in Ohio in 1989
- Anesthesiologist testifies that Ohio's execution drugs could cause Stewart to experience terror as he strains to catch his breath
By Associated Press and Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 14:10 EST, 10 January 2014 | UPDATED: 18:40 EST, 10 January 2014
Condemned: This undated file photo shows death row inmate Dennis McGuire, who raped and murdered a pregnant woman in 1989
An Ohio inmate facing execution next week from an untried method is at substantial risk of a medical phenomenon known as air hunger.
This would cause condemned killer David McGuire, 53, to experience terror as he strains to catch his breath, an anesthesiologist testified Friday at a federal court hearing.
Because McGuire has several characteristics of sleep apnea, or the struggle to breathe while asleep, the chances are even greater he will be subjected to feelings of suffocation, an expert warned.
'Mr. McGuire is at a substantial risk
of experiencing the terror of air hunger during the first five minutes
of the execution,' Professor David Waisel, of Harvard Medical School,
'Air hunger is a horrible feeling,' Waisel added. 'It's the inability to get your breath.'
Waisel is a witness for defense attorneys trying to stop McGuire's
execution next Thursday. He testified at the beginning of a two-day
hearing on the state's new lethal drug process.
plans to use intravenous doses of two drugs, midazolam, a sedative, and
hydromorphone, a painkiller, to put McGuire to death.
method has been part of Ohio's execution process since 2009, though
never used. It was chosen because of a shortage of other lethal
The state says its own anesthesiology expert is ready to argue that experiments have shown nothing of the sort will happen.
Experimental: McGuire is scheduled to be executed next week at this facility but an expert has testified that he may experience terror as he strains to catch his breath due to Ohio's untested execution method
Punishment: The death chamber at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville. Ohio plans to use intravenous doses of two drugs, midazolam, a sedative, and hydromorphone, a painkiller, to put McGuire to death
Such dueling arguments have taken place often in federal judge Gregory Frost's courtroom over the years. Frost has heard numerous arguments for and against Ohio's lethal injection process.
He has never ruled the drugs themselves unconstitutional, but he has at times harshly criticized the state for conducting haphazard executions by not closely following its own policies.
McGuire, 53, was sentenced to die for the 1989 rape and fatal stabbing of Joy Stewart in Preble County in western Ohio. The 22-year-old Stewart was newly married and pregnant.
will experience the agony and terror of air hunger as he struggles to
breathe for five minutes after defendants intravenously inject him with
the execution drugs,' the inmate's attorneys said in a Monday court
Victim: McGuire, 53, was sentenced to die for the 1989 rape and fatal stabbing of Joy Stewart in Preble County in western Ohio. The 22-year-old Stewart was newly married and pregnant
Higher courts have twice rejected claims that the drugs pose a risk of severe pain, the state argued in opposing McGuire's attempt to stop his execution.
The state says that because courts have upheld the use of those drugs in the backup method, McGuire can't challenge their use just because they are to be given intravenously.
There is no excuse for not raising
this claim years ago, 'much less presenting it for the first time in an
eleventh-hour stay of execution,' lawyers for the Ohio attorney
general's office said in their filing.
Wednesday, McGuire's attorneys filed a separate appeal with the U.S.
Supreme Court, saying information about his chaotic childhood of abuse
and neglect could have prevented him from being sentenced to death if it
was presented at trial.
filings argue McGuire was so malnourished as a child that his stomach
was swollen and distended. He also had to frequently steal food for
himself and his younger sister, the appeal said.
was physically abused by at least four different parental figures and
shows signs of brain damage from head trauma, the attorneys said.
The filings say jurors who sentenced McGuire to death never got to hear the full extent of his chaotic childhood because his trial attorneys didn't properly investigate reasons he should be spared.
Even without the full picture of McGuire's life, a juror held out for 12 hours before relenting, a sign that a full investigation might have led to a different outcome, the lawyers said.
In Ohio, one juror can block a death sentence by voting against it. The state's response to that claim is expected Monday.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
A high school teacher in Utah has been arrested for allegedly having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student who was able to accurately describe ... Full story
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Myers Middle School teacher fired after students found nude pictures
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Woman was born with no vagina; can't have sex or babies
- Woman claims she was attacked by Abby Hernandez alleged kidnapper Nathaniel Kibby
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Beyonce recreates iconic Rosie the Riveter feminist poster in new photo shoot
- Michael J. Vanwagner, who killed teen posts picture of his totaled car online with smiley face
- 10 ways to improve your body
- How NOT to dive off a diving board
- Demoted worker Anthony DeFrances shoots CEO, kills self in Chicago
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- White Republican Dave Wilson wins election in inner city Houston after PRETENDING to be African-American in campaign flyers
- McStay Family Update: Human remains found in Mojave Desert belong to Calif. family missing since 2010, relative says
- Kangaroo kicks up a fuss in West Texas town, but is it a k-rime?
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- Footage of woman with airport alligator shows they took train to Chicago's O'Hare airport
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- Faysal Himon, NYC cab driver, avoids charges in accident that left tourist without a foot, report says
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Black man tries to buy $1300 watch, gets arrested
- Verizon boosts FiOS uploads to match downloads
- Female suicide bomber kills five on bus in Russia ahead of Sochi Olympics
- Jenny McCarthy is 'terrified' after screwing over Oprah
- Kellogg's sorry for promising food to poor kids in exchange for re-tweets
- Plans for a reality show about Charlie Sheen's custody war
- Dontrell Darling: Fla. boy, 9, shot in face in drive-by while sleeping in his home
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- More than $50 million stolen from unguarded van belonging to Libya's Central Bank
- IN PICTURES: The Drug Smuggling 'SUPER TUNNEL'
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- Sylvia Mitchell Update: "Sorry" NYC psychic gets 5 to15 years in prison for conning clients
- China to ease one-child policy
- Devastated parents of dedicated Chinese student arrive in California after he was beaten to death in senseless baseball bat attack
- Kylie Jenner and Scott get the finger from rude model
- Eat for heart health
- Miley Cyrus has posted a provocative photo with a mystery man on Twitter
- Would you eat this monster chicken nugget?
- Jaimie Alexander Goes Without Underwear in Shocking Sheer Dress With Body-Flashing Cutouts: Pictures
- The Facebook photo of a high school basketball coach Laraine Cook being groped by her fiance that got her fired
- Rabbi Noah Muroff finds $100K of forgotten cash in desk bought on Craigslist
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|