Is WINDSCREEN SEALANT secret of luscious locks? Filloxane based on motoring technology
- Filloxane inserts itself into the hair shaft, bulking from within
- Works like silica gel which is commonly used to fix car windscreens
- Used in a new haircare range due to launch later this month
By Ruth Styles
PUBLISHED: 12:43 EST, 12 January 2014 | UPDATED: 19:28 EST, 12 January 2014
It might sound like something from a science fiction novel but technicians at beauty giant L'Oréal claim to have unearthed the secret of thicker hair - in the garage.
According to experts working for the brand, filloxane, an ingredient used in an upcoming haircare range, works like silica gel which is used to fix cracks in car windscreens.
Named 'sol-gel' technology by its creators, the thickener works by inserting itself into the hair shaft, bulking it up from within.
The dream: Eight million British women suffer from thinning hair but filloxane could be the solution
By contrast, conventional hair thickeners work by coating the outside of the hair strand and can only manage temporary results.
The new technology, which could offer a solution to the estimated eight million British women who complain of having thinning hair and hits the shelves as part of L'Oréal's new Elvive Fibrology range this month, has even received a cautious welcome from hair experts.
Speaking to the Sunday Times, Franz Wortmann, a professor of fibre and textile technology at Manchester University, described the new wonder ingredient as a 'breakthrough'.
He added: 'What makes it interesting from a chemical point of view is that they have produced this glass-like three dimensional structure that gets into the hair because it is positively charged and hair is negatively charged, so it sticks there.'
Sealant: Filloxane works in a similar way to silica gel which is commonly used to fix cracked car windscreens
According to data released by L'Oréal, using a shampoo with a 10 per cent concentration of filloxane could expand individual hair strands by 60 per cent - an effect that remained for a further 10 washes.
But it seems that not everyone is convinced. In an interview with the Sunday Times, Des Tobin, the head of the centre for skin sciences at Bradford University, said:
'It would be difficult to see how the highly compact nature of the hair cortex could tolerate an expansion equal to 62 per cent.
'A key measure would be to see a side-by-side comparison of the hair fibre before and after treatment.'
NOT CONVINCED? NATURAL ALTERNATIVE LOVED BY SUPERMODEL STELLA TENNANT CLAIMS TO BOOST HAIR GROWTH BY 93 PER CENT
It might not have the eye-catching technology but if the claims are to be believed, all-natural British brand, Swell, could give limp locks an equally impressive boost.
The new range, which launches at Marks & Spencer this week, contains Peruvian maca, which has been clinically proven to stimulate growth by a massive 93 per cent, all while protecting it from environmental stress and reducing hair loss.
Swell products also contain blue lupin, which helps lock in colour, and Swiss apple, an old-fashioned fruit thought to increase hair growth and reduce loss by 50 per cent.
Speaking about the brand, the famously fine-haired Tennant said: 'I like using natural products on my hair and Swell’s volumising system makes my hair fuller, thicker and stronger naturally as well as smelling divine.'
And she's not the only celebrity fan of the range, which includes shampoo, £23, conditioner, £26, and 'Root Nutrient Complex', a £30 volumising styling spray.
Model, athlete and TV presenter Jenny Pacey, is also a fan and says it has given her fine hair an impressive boost.
'I have struggled with fine thin hair for my entire life. After using the Swell 3-step system for 3 months my hair feels fuller, thicker, and has been left in incredible condition.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
A high school teacher in Utah has been arrested for allegedly having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student who was able to accurately describe ... Full story
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Bad Santas! The police mugshots with an uncanny resemblance to Santa Claus
- John Thomas wins Muscogee County School Board District 2 seat
- Facebook selfie helps police identify fraud suspect as Tanya Peel
- Thanksgiving Storm: Freezing weather spreads as storm heads toward U.S. East Coast
- Shaw High School recognized with Top Honors at FBLA Nat’l Leadership Conference
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S tablet sets sights on Apple iPads with lower prices, more powerful technology
- Runoffs set fields for November elections
- Your Voice, Your Vote: Georgia Primary Runoff Election
- Police release pictures of clothes girl, 15, was wearing when she went missing before mysteriously reappearing nine months later
- EXCLUSIVE: 11ft, 50lb Python found in backyard of north Columbus home
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Georgia Lottery partners with Kia Motors for 21st birthday
- CSU Professor speaks on crisis in the Middle East
- Wrong-way drunk driver dies in crash that killed two women
- Steward who changed flights to work MH17 at the last minute had wife who had swapped OFF MH370
- VivaGel HIV-killing condom 'could be available to buy within months'
- Columbus City Council approves new crime prevention methods
- Richmond County District 6 precinct results
- Teen girl who passed out after drinking 'unknown' alcoholic drink 'woke to find herself being raped by gang in back of car'
- Students from Shaw High School nationally recognized
- Newsome murder trial Day 2: Blood stains on the shorts
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- FaceTime not working on your iPad or iphone? Here’s the fix
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- Soldier's mother in rock attack may NEVER see again after doctors remove parts of brain
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Women: DeKalb officer Jeremy Reynolds asked for sexual favors to avoid jail
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Naked Miley Cyrus picture leaked online after sexting? Depends on who you ask
- Police: Associate Pastor Derek Moses Shot Dead
- Forget the French, it's British men who women prefer now: Gents leap above Gallic counterparts in Europe-wide survey of who makes the best lover
- Islamic Center sign in Alpharetta vandalized
- Can't sleep in the heat? Put your sheets in the fridge and whatever you do, DON'T sleep naked!
- Brazilian TV model Pamela Nascimento dies during liposuction
- Why toilet seat liners are totally pointless
- Video shows four live cobras that appear to be protecting a sleeping baby
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|