Father 'who hacked his disabled son's head off and left it by the road for his mom to see' ruled insane and found not guilty of murder
- Jori Lirette, 7, suffered from cerebral palsy
- He was found beheaded and dismembered in the front yard of his Louisiana home on August 14, 2011
- His father, Jeremiah Wright, 32, was charged with his first-degree murder and faced death by lethal injection if convicted
- Doctors for Wright testified that he suffered from a psychotic disorder and for years lived under the delusion his son, who needed around-the-clock care, was a 'CPR dummy'
- On Friday a Thibodaux judge found Wright not guilty of murder by reason of insanity
- He has been confined to a state mental asylum in Jackson
Daily Mail Reporter
UPDATED: 17:48 EST, 14 February 2014
A father accused of hacking his disabled seven year-old son's head off with a meat cleaver and leaving it by the road for the boy's mother to see has been ruled not guilty of murder by reason of insanity.
Defense experts have successfully proven that Jeremiah Wright, 32, from Louisiana, was suffering a delusion at the time of the brutal murder of Jori Lirette, who suffered from cerebral palsy.
Wright was charged with the first degree murder of the little boy on August 14, 2011, and faced life in prison or death by lethal injection if convicted.
Expert witnesses Dr. Sarah DeLand, a director at the mental facility that treated Wright, and psychiatrist George Seiden of Shreveport, said Wright suffered from a psychotic disorder at the time of the incident, couldn't tell right from wrong and believed his son was 'a CPR dummy'.
Jeremiah Wright, left, was on trial for the first-degree murder of his son Jori Lirette, right, by chopping off his head, hands and feet with a meat cleaver. He was found not guilty Friday by reason of insanity
They testified that Wright thought his son was really a government social experiment and told them: 'I don't believe they can do anything to me because it wasn't a real person. His skull was made of plastic. He had foam in him.'
Wright was accused of killing and dismembering the boy after his mother Jesslyn Lirette threatened to kick him out of their Louisiana home.
A passing motorist found Jori after Wright allegedly left his head in the front yard for his mother to see.
His hands and feet were also hacked off and found in a garbage bag.
The crime scene was so gruesome that some of the police who responded to the emergency call have had to have counseling, according to AZCentral.
Investigators said the grisly killing was carried out over a kitchen sink.
The boy required around-the-clock care and was fed through a tube.
Appearance: Jeremiah Wright seen here during a court appearance in 2013. He has now been confined to a state mental hospital
Mother: Jesslyn Lirette held the hands of two guards as she attended a court hearing in 2013. Her her long term boyfriend was accused of killing their son
Judge John LeBlanc of Thibodaux told a court on Friday that Wright will be sent to a state mental hospital in Jackson that is often used to house criminals who have either been charged with a violent crime or have been ruled not guilty by reason of insanity, according to Houma Today.
The judge said he based his ruling off doctors' consistent evaluations that indicate Wright has long been mentally ill and, as a result, believed the world around him was not real.
'Nothing has really changed in regard to the interviews that said Mr. Wright suffered from a mental disorder during the time of the incident and that this psychotic disorder existed prior to the incident,' LeBlanc said during the hearing.
'He couldn't understand the difference between right and wrong and he still suffers the same delusions and disorders today.'
From the bench, LeBlanc spoke directly to Jori Lirette's family members.
'This was absolutely the only decision that could be made based on the medical history and testimony in the court,' the judge said.
'It is not a good day for you, it is not a good day for anyone involved, but it is a day we must all face because it is the only decision that could be rendered in this case.'
Devastated: A distraught Jesslyn Lirette speaks a the candlit vigil for her murdered disabled seven-year-old son Jori following his death in 2011
After Jori's body was discovered it was revealed that his mother had previously warned police that Wright wanted her son dead.
The week before Jori was born, Jesslyn obtained a restraining order against Wright after he 'broke the baby's piggy bank' and 'shoved her onto a pile of CDs on the bed'.
when Jori was just six-months-old, she obtained another similar order
after he called her and said he 'was tired of seeing the baby suffer'
and wanted him dead.
Details of the orders, which Jesslyn apparently allowed to lapse, were revealed in sworn statements she made in 2004 and made part of the official court record.
Thibodaux Police Lt. Kim Favalora said in a statement to a court in early 2013 that: 'Wright was very matter-of-fact as he calmly explained that he thought for years that Jori was not his son.
Wright's doctors said for years he lived under the delusion his son was a 'dummy' as part of a psychotic disorder
'Wright said that he recently saw the way the dummy looked at him and there were signs and little things the dummy did to him that let him know that Jori was not his son, but a dummy.'
Favalora said Wright told police that 'he was tired of taking care of the dummy. Wright said that as soon as he realized that Jori was a dummy, and not his son, he 'started contemplating on killing him.'
The document said Wright admitted to arguing with Jesslyn the previous night and that he expected to be kicked out of the house.
Wright has a previous criminal history that includes arrests for drugs, burglary and contempt.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
A high school teacher in Utah has been arrested for allegedly having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student who was able to accurately describe ... Full story
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- How NOT to dive off a diving board
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Beyonce recreates iconic Rosie the Riveter feminist poster in new photo shoot
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Woman was born with no vagina; can't have sex or babies
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Female suicide bomber kills five on bus in Russia ahead of Sochi Olympics
- Black man tries to buy $1300 watch, gets arrested
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- Faysal Himon, NYC cab driver, avoids charges in accident that left tourist without a foot, report says
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- McStay Family Update: Human remains found in Mojave Desert belong to Calif. family missing since 2010, relative says
- Man 'has sex with dog on camera'
- DeKalb man William Matthews Simmons accused of inappropriate relationship with 15-year-old boy
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- The dog with a thousand hilarious faces who LOVES to play fetch
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- Jaimie Alexander Goes Without Underwear in Shocking Sheer Dress With Body-Flashing Cutouts: Pictures
- Snapchat reveals geofilters that can only be unlocked in the right place
- Rabbi Noah Muroff finds $100K of forgotten cash in desk bought on Craigslist
- 10 ways to improve your body
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- Sylvia Mitchell Update: "Sorry" NYC psychic gets 5 to15 years in prison for conning clients
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- White Republican Dave Wilson wins election in inner city Houston after PRETENDING to be African-American in campaign flyers
- Facebook selfie helps police identify fraud suspect as Tanya Peel
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Sheyla Hershey: Model who had biggest breasts in the world in a coma 'after taking a drugs overdose'
- Kangaroo kicks up a fuss in West Texas town, but is it a k-rime?
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Father of Abigail Hernandez's boyfriend Jimmy Campbell pleads to be told where teen was
- Clerk pulls out his MMA fighter skills to tackle two 'thieves' who attacked his colleague
- Eat for heart health
- Kellogg's sorry for promising food to poor kids in exchange for re-tweets
- Footage of woman with airport alligator shows they took train to Chicago's O'Hare airport
- Avoid the energy drink trap
- Florida man's smartphone takes a bullet for him
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|