Powerball jackpot skyrockets to fourth largest ever $400M after fifteen drawings without a winner
- No one has won the multi-state lottery jackpot for 15 straight drawings
- The last winner was a Missouri mechanic named Kevin Carlson, who won $71.5M on December 25
By Associated Press and Joshua Gardner
PUBLISHED: 03:46 EST, 16 February 2014 | UPDATED: 09:31 EST, 16 February 2014
There was no jackpot winner in Saturday's Powerball drawing and the estimated jackpot has surged to a massive $400 million.
The giant jackpot will tie for the fourth largest of all time if a lucky resident of one of 43 states holds the golden ticket with all six winning numbers in Wednesday night's drawing.
It will also be the first winner in months after a string of 15 no-winner drawings marked a drought for most but a potential windfall for someone soon.
That winner, if there is one, will receive a projected $227.8M cash sum.
Saturday's numbers were 2, 9, 14, 21 and 23 with a Powerball of 3.
While the lottery made it official early Sunday that no one won the full prize, there was a spattering of smaller prize winners across the nation.
A $2 million ticket was sold in Texas, officials say.
WILL IT MAKE HISTORY? WEDNESDAY'S DRAW COULD BE 4TH BIGGEST EVER
Wednesday's jackpot could be the fourth largest Powerball win ever. Here are the top 10 largest draws:
- $590.5M in May 2013, one winner Florida
- $587.5M in November 2012, two winners in Arizona and Missouri
- $448.4M in August 2013, three winners in Minnesota and New Jersey
- $400M in September 213, one winner in South Carolina
- $365M in February 2006, one winner in Nebraska
- $340M in October 2005, one winner in Oregon
- $338.3M in March 2013, one winner in New Jersey
- $337M in August 2012, one winner in Michigan
- $336.4M in February 2012, one winner in Rhode Island
- $314.3M in August 2007, one winner in Indiana
And tickets worth $1 million were sold in Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
To win the million dollar prizes, players had to match all five regular number but miss out on just the Powerball number.
Powerball officials said in a statement that the previous estimated jackpot total was an annuitized $330.8 million, or $188.4 million as a cash option.
The odds of matching all six numbers in the game are 1 in about 175 million, according to the Multi-State Lottery Association.
The last Powerball winner was Kevin Carlson, who bought his ticket at a Missouri convenience store and hit for $71.5M on Christmas Day last year.
is played in 43 states, Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Tied for fourth: Bob Knowles buys a Powerball ticket prior to the last $400M drawing back in September
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Folding Manhattan studio apartment that turns into a four-bedroom unit
- Oregon woman Joan Zuber has hand and part of arm amputated after it was caught in the hood of her truck
- Levi's and GAP are losing profits to yogas pants brand Lululemon
- Body in burned car identified as Atlanta woman Darla Gibbons
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 382
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31