Wife accidentally shoots dead husband David Utz at dinner party
More from Regional
- 14-year-old girl charged in fatal Chicago shooting of Endia Martin
- Courtney Ann Sanford dies in car crash while posting about ‘Happy’
- Former Fortune 500 exec Robert Dellinger charged with murder
- Train commuters run, jump and swing on pole in ‘worst rush hour service ever’
- Aspiring model Chelsea Gerrish, 20, killed in horrific road rage crash after being rammed head-on by father-of-three
- David Utz, 43, died from a single gunshot wound to his chest
- Police have not said if his wife, Jessica, will face charges
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 10:04 EST, 25 March 2014 | UPDATED: 11:56 EST, 25 March 2014
A Missouri man was shot dead by his wife after a loaded gun accidentally went off at a dinner party on Saturday night.
David Utz, 43, died from a single shot to the chest after his wife, named locally as Jessica, picked up a gun without realizing it was loaded.
The couple, who have a young daughter, were showing guests their guns as they entertained friends in their Imperial, Jefferson County home.
Tragic: David Utz was shot dead by his wife Jessica, left, as the couple entertained guests in their home
Accident: David Utz was shot once in the chest when a gun Jessica was holding went off
Mr Utz is believed to have loaded a gun and put it back down again while his wife was out of the room. When she returned, she picked the gun up and somehow managed to fire it.
She had no idea it was loaded, Captain Ron Arnhart, of the sheriff's office, told the St Louis Post-Dispatch, adding: 'It does appear to be a horrible accident.'
Police are investigating the shooting, and the prosecutor's office has not yet said if Mrs Utz will be charged.
In two other cases of accidental shootings in the area last year, involuntary manslaughter charges were brought against those claiming they had never meant to shoot their victims.
Makanzie Halinski, 20, who allegedly shot Cole Campbell, 20, in the head with a gun she thought was not loaded, and Keith Wildharber, 21, who accidentally shot his roommate after believing he had removed ammunition from a pistol, are both awaiting trial.
Investigation: Police have not said whether Jessica Utz will face charges over the shooting
Horrifying: While Jessica Utz was out of the room, her husband loaded the gun and then set it back down