Oregon mother 'beat her four-year-old son until his intestines tore because she thought he was gay'
- Jessica Dutro, 25, charged with murder in august 2012 death of her son Zachary Dutro-Boggess
- Dutro's boyfriend, Brian Canady, 25, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and assault, and agreed to testify against the mother
- Miss Dutro sent Facebook message to Canady saying that Zachary 'walks and talks like it [gay]', and that the boyfriend would have to 'work on' him
- Dutro's 7-year-old daughter told detectives how her mother and Canady repeatedly beat Zachary until he 'got dead'
- Doctor who examined 4-year-old testified that contents of his ripped bowels leaked into his body for at least two days
- All of Zachary's siblings also showed signs of abuse, exceot for Dutro and Canady's infant son
By Snejana Farberov and Associated Press Reporter
PUBLISHED: 13:35 EST, 27 March 2014 | UPDATED: 19:09 EST, 27 March 2014
An Oregon woman accused of beating her 4-year-old son to death believed the boy was gay and that was a motive behind the murder, according to the prosecution.
Jessica Dutro's son Zachary died in August 2012, days after collapsing at the homeless shelter where his family was living southwest of Portland.
Washington County Judge Don Letourneau ruled Wednesday, after jurors were released for the day, that a Facebook message from Dutro to her boyfriend was admissible evidence.
On trial: Jessica Dutro (left) is accused of beating her 4-year-old son to death with the help of her boyfriend, Brian Canady (right), because she thought the toddler was gay
Crime scene: Zachary Dutro-Boggess was found unconscious August 14, 2012, in the homeless shelter Good Neighbor Center in Tigard, Oregon
In the message, Dutro told her boyfriend, Brian Canady, that Zachary was 'facing the wall' because he had made her angry.
Her son was going to be gay, she wrote, using a slur. 'He walks and talks like it. Ugh.'
Canady would have to 'work on' Zachary, she wrote.
The message established Dutro's motive for inflicting a pattern of abuse, prosecutor Megan Johnson said. Dutro assaulted three of her children, but Zachary received the harshest treatment, authorities said.
The judge ruled additional web searches done by Dutro were also admissible, The Oregonian reported.
On August 16, 2012, the day her son was taken off life support, Miss Dutro searched terms such as anger management and parenting classes, prosecutors said.
She also searched listings for free stuff and sex with strangers, they said.
Earlier this month, Canady pleaded guilty to manslaughter and assault for his role in the homicide.
Zachary Dutro-Boggess died of blunt-force trauma to his abdomen and a delay in medical treatment, prosecutors said.
Dutro, 25, is charged with murder, murder by abuse and second-degree assault.
Admission of guilt: Brian Canady (center) pleaded guilty to manslaughter and assault earlier this month
On August 14, 2012, Jessica Dutro and her boyfriend called 911 to report that her son was unconscious after collapsing at Good Neighbor Center, a family homeless shelter.
Little Zachary, who just turned four the day before, was rushed to a Portland hospital where doctors diagnosed him with blunt-force trauma to the abdomen, which caused his bowels to tear.
The toddler was taken off the ventilator two days later.
On March 4, Brian Canady, 24, pleaded guilty to manslaughter for his role in Zachary's death and agreed to testify against Dutro as a witness for the prosecution.
Under the plea agreement, the more serious charges against him, including four counts of murder by abuse and one count of second-degree assault, have been dropped.
When questioned by detectives, the man admitted that he had kicked Zachary in the stomach because the boy wanted to take off his shoes before sitting down to watch TV, as Canady had ordered him.
During a hearing Tuesday, the jury got to hear an audio recording of an interviews that detectives had conducted with Miss Dutro's 7-year-old daughter, who described how her mother and Canady allegedly hit and punched Zachary until he 'got dead.'
The girl also told police that the couple often hit her and her siblings for 'not being good.'
The 7-year-old recounted how her brother was repeatedly struck by his parents for not listening until he got sick.
Plea deal: Canady has agreed to testify against his girlfriend in exchange for the more serious charges against him being dropped
The boy eventually stopped breathing, but his sister told police that Dutro and her boyfriend 'didn’t tell anybody.'
On the morning of August 14, Dutro placed Zachary in the shower because he had wet himself, but the child's body was limp and his eyes rolled.
Dr. Danny Leonhardt, who examined Zachary, testified that by the time his parents sought medical help for the toddler, he 'essential was dead.'
Leonhardt said that the contents of his torn intestines had leaked out into his body for at least two days, resulting in a deadly infection.
Besides the injuries to Zachary’s abdomen similar to those seen in car crashes, the child's body was covered in bruises suggesting prolonged, repeated abuse.
Leonhardt said that in the hospital, he caught a glimpse of Zachary's 3-year-old brother and said that the child's face was covered in scrapes. An exam later showed that the toddler had five broken ribs in various stages of healing.
The physician evaluated the victim’s siblings and concluded that all of them had been abused, save for Dutro and Canady's infant son.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
As far as wardrobe malfunctions go, Jennifer Lopez could probably count this one as her worst ever. The 42-year-old singer managed to fully expose her ample ... Full story
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- From mangled to medical rock star: Shotgun victim who underwent most ambitious face transplant ever performed covers GQ and says he is 'honored to be an experiment'
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- How NOT to dive off a diving board
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- American Ebola victim is terrified, say his colleagues as they tell how he dedicated his life to Africa and refused to flee with his young family when virus began to spread
- Texas doctor who moved to Africa to help ebola patients has contracted the disease which has now spread to Nigeria after an infected businessman boarded a plane
- How not to react in a debate: TV discussion about Gaza and Syria turns violent
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- 'No school tomorrow, all the children in Gaza are dead': Far-right Israelis sing sickening chants in the street to celebrate latest deaths of Palestinian infants
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- Beyonce recreates iconic Rosie the Riveter feminist poster in new photo shoot
- Decapitated head of Brazilian footballer Joao Rodrigo Silva Santos found dumped on Rio doorstep
- Miley Cyrus tweets x-rated Halloween pics
- Verizon boosts FiOS uploads to match downloads
- Father of Abigail Hernandez's boyfriend Jimmy Campbell pleads to be told where teen was
- Dontrell Darling: Fla. boy, 9, shot in face in drive-by while sleeping in his home
- Twitter discloses diversity numbers — most workers are white or Asian
- 10 ways to improve your body
- Shooting spree in small Texas town of Terrell leaves five dead, Charles Brownlow in custody
- Kerry Washington Pregnant, Expecting First Child With Husband Nnamdi Asomugha!
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- Mom, 4 young kids killed in NYC stabbing rampage
- Police pull four bracelets, four necklaces, 11 rings and bag of weed from man’s rectum
- 'Miracle' baby delivered from dead mother's womb after she is killed in Israeli airstrike
- Antonio Brown accused of dangling child from overpass while drunk and dressed as a clown
- Math teacher Ashley Anderson, 24, 'who sent students nude pics of herself' admits to having sex with them
- Georgia's Most Dangerous Cities
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Snapchat reveals geofilters that can only be unlocked in the right place
- Teens Charles Horton, Joshua Carney Arrested in Athens BB Gun Shootings
- Black hot dogs are being sold in Japan, as seen in viral video
- Little Rascals star Blake McIver now a buff go-go dancer
- White Republican Dave Wilson wins election in inner city Houston after PRETENDING to be African-American in campaign flyers
- Footage of woman with airport alligator shows they took train to Chicago's O'Hare airport
- Microsoft’s parody of ‘Sexy and I Know It’ is most embarrassing thing ever
- DeKalb man William Matthews Simmons accused of inappropriate relationship with 15-year-old boy
- Serial killer Milton Johnson 'touches heart' of widow, Margaret Seeman, 94
- Bond for Gucci Mane set at $75,000
- School football coach slapped with bullying complaint after team's 91-0 win
- Kangaroo kicks up a fuss in West Texas town, but is it a k-rime?
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|