Oregon mother 'beat her four-year-old son until his intestines tore because she thought he was gay'
- Jessica Dutro, 25, charged with murder in august 2012 death of her son Zachary Dutro-Boggess
- Dutro's boyfriend, Brian Canady, 25, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and assault, and agreed to testify against the mother
- Miss Dutro sent Facebook message to Canady saying that Zachary 'walks and talks like it [gay]', and that the boyfriend would have to 'work on' him
- Dutro's 7-year-old daughter told detectives how her mother and Canady repeatedly beat Zachary until he 'got dead'
- Doctor who examined 4-year-old testified that contents of his ripped bowels leaked into his body for at least two days
- All of Zachary's siblings also showed signs of abuse, exceot for Dutro and Canady's infant son
By Snejana Farberov and Associated Press Reporter
PUBLISHED: 13:35 EST, 27 March 2014 | UPDATED: 19:09 EST, 27 March 2014
An Oregon woman accused of beating her 4-year-old son to death believed the boy was gay and that was a motive behind the murder, according to the prosecution.
Jessica Dutro's son Zachary died in August 2012, days after collapsing at the homeless shelter where his family was living southwest of Portland.
Washington County Judge Don Letourneau ruled Wednesday, after jurors were released for the day, that a Facebook message from Dutro to her boyfriend was admissible evidence.
On trial: Jessica Dutro (left) is accused of beating her 4-year-old son to death with the help of her boyfriend, Brian Canady (right), because she thought the toddler was gay
Crime scene: Zachary Dutro-Boggess was found unconscious August 14, 2012, in the homeless shelter Good Neighbor Center in Tigard, Oregon
In the message, Dutro told her boyfriend, Brian Canady, that Zachary was 'facing the wall' because he had made her angry.
Her son was going to be gay, she wrote, using a slur. 'He walks and talks like it. Ugh.'
Canady would have to 'work on' Zachary, she wrote.
The message established Dutro's motive for inflicting a pattern of abuse, prosecutor Megan Johnson said. Dutro assaulted three of her children, but Zachary received the harshest treatment, authorities said.
The judge ruled additional web searches done by Dutro were also admissible, The Oregonian reported.
On August 16, 2012, the day her son was taken off life support, Miss Dutro searched terms such as anger management and parenting classes, prosecutors said.
She also searched listings for free stuff and sex with strangers, they said.
Earlier this month, Canady pleaded guilty to manslaughter and assault for his role in the homicide.
Zachary Dutro-Boggess died of blunt-force trauma to his abdomen and a delay in medical treatment, prosecutors said.
Dutro, 25, is charged with murder, murder by abuse and second-degree assault.
Admission of guilt: Brian Canady (center) pleaded guilty to manslaughter and assault earlier this month
On August 14, 2012, Jessica Dutro and her boyfriend called 911 to report that her son was unconscious after collapsing at Good Neighbor Center, a family homeless shelter.
Little Zachary, who just turned four the day before, was rushed to a Portland hospital where doctors diagnosed him with blunt-force trauma to the abdomen, which caused his bowels to tear.
The toddler was taken off the ventilator two days later.
On March 4, Brian Canady, 24, pleaded guilty to manslaughter for his role in Zachary's death and agreed to testify against Dutro as a witness for the prosecution.
Under the plea agreement, the more serious charges against him, including four counts of murder by abuse and one count of second-degree assault, have been dropped.
When questioned by detectives, the man admitted that he had kicked Zachary in the stomach because the boy wanted to take off his shoes before sitting down to watch TV, as Canady had ordered him.
During a hearing Tuesday, the jury got to hear an audio recording of an interviews that detectives had conducted with Miss Dutro's 7-year-old daughter, who described how her mother and Canady allegedly hit and punched Zachary until he 'got dead.'
The girl also told police that the couple often hit her and her siblings for 'not being good.'
The 7-year-old recounted how her brother was repeatedly struck by his parents for not listening until he got sick.
Plea deal: Canady has agreed to testify against his girlfriend in exchange for the more serious charges against him being dropped
The boy eventually stopped breathing, but his sister told police that Dutro and her boyfriend 'didn’t tell anybody.'
On the morning of August 14, Dutro placed Zachary in the shower because he had wet himself, but the child's body was limp and his eyes rolled.
Dr. Danny Leonhardt, who examined Zachary, testified that by the time his parents sought medical help for the toddler, he 'essential was dead.'
Leonhardt said that the contents of his torn intestines had leaked out into his body for at least two days, resulting in a deadly infection.
Besides the injuries to Zachary’s abdomen similar to those seen in car crashes, the child's body was covered in bruises suggesting prolonged, repeated abuse.
Leonhardt said that in the hospital, he caught a glimpse of Zachary's 3-year-old brother and said that the child's face was covered in scrapes. An exam later showed that the toddler had five broken ribs in various stages of healing.
The physician evaluated the victim’s siblings and concluded that all of them had been abused, save for Dutro and Canady's infant son.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
A high school teacher in Utah has been arrested for allegedly having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student who was able to accurately describe ... Full story
- Beyonce recreates iconic Rosie the Riveter feminist poster in new photo shoot
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- Jenny McCarthy is 'terrified' after screwing over Oprah
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- More than $50 million stolen from unguarded van belonging to Libya's Central Bank
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Pro-Russian looters pulled Tesco binoculars from British MH17 victim's suitcase - but threw them back because they were broken
- Suspect flees in car of woman shot, killed in Smyrna
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- At last, some dignity for the victims of MH17: 40 hearses and thousands of mourners line highways to pay respects
- FaceTime not working on your iPad or iphone? Here’s the fix
- Black teen was scared and disoriented when she banged on the front door of white homeowner who shot her dead
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Igor Girkin says 'MH17 bodies aren't fresh' as he claims corpses had been 'dead for days'
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- 'The girl with this phone is dead': The chilling text message sent to devastated family of missing woman Rajwinder Kaur
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Man, 37, arrested in killing and Dismemberment of Carina Saunders
- Amazon seeks permission from United States Federal Aviation Administration for drone tests
- Pregnant woman, 27, arrested 'after posting a selfie on Facebook wearing a stolen dress'
- Justin Bieber makes it rain cash at strip club
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Exorcist Bob Larson expels demons through Skype
- killer Joseph Rudolph Wood WILL be executed after Arizona court halted lethal injection
- 'When does your morality kick in': Al Sharpton demands justice in defiant speech against NYPD at funeral of father who died after officer put him choke hold
- Husband caught teacher wife Amie Neely, 38, having sex with exchange student, 16, after tracking her via GPS phone app
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Roy Jones Captured 18 Years After Escaping From Jail
- Whole Foods removes 'racist' sign depicting President Obama eating chicken
- Chicago Sun-Times headline about Asiana Airlines criticized for being racist
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- Black Vine user films 'racist' shop worker following him around 'presuming he's stealing'
- Frederick Mueller Update: Texas man won't be tried a 3rd time for wife's death in Colo. creek
- The quirky Swiss hotel that lets you rent a room next to the huskies
- Senate agrees on $11B highway funding measure
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
- Arizona inmate Joseph Rudolph Wood dies 2 HOURS after execution began
- Jennifer shows saggy belly
- Teacher's aide and mother of two Clarice Lee 'had sex with three students while three others watched and videotaped
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Video: Terrifying moment singer was electrocuted while on stage
- Watch Sir Mix-A-Lot perform Baby Got Back with an orchestra
- Simon Cowell trolled over donation to Israeli soldiers' organisation
- Moment hero cop and driver took down assault rifle-toting gunman after he went on a terrifying twenty minute rampage
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|