Burton man fatally shot
More from Savannah
- Asked & Answered: What are these survey markers on Cherry Street?
- First Alert Meteorologist Pat Prokop: short sleeve weather is here, but don't put away that winter coat - find out WHY on WTOC
- Netanyahu warns US 'bad deal' would put Iran on nuclear path
- SC State president files for injunction against school
- Investigators: Pictures show substitute teacher writing obscene statement in class
The investigation into the fatal shooting in Burton on Sunday night continues.
It happened just before 5:30 p.m. Sunday yesterday, Beaufort County sheriff's deputies responded to Staffwood Lane on a report of a possible gunshot victim.
Darryl McArthur Greene, 40, was lying beside a vehicle with its engine running along the road, according to the BCSO. He had been shot several times and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators learned that Greene, who was previously from the Burton area, had been living in Stone Mountain, Ga., and was in town visiting relatives for the weekend. Greene had been talking with a group of people who were gathered in a common area on Staffwood Lane when the shooting occurred, according to the BCSO.
Investigators made contact with a female who was with Greene when he was killed, according to the sheriff's office. Few details are known about what led up to the shooting. A motive remains undetermined.
Anyone with information can contact either Investigator Cpl. A. Rice at 843.255.3429 or CrimeStoppers at 1.888.CRIME.SC (274-6372) or text the word TIPSC with a message to CRIMES (274637).
Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.