Burton man fatally shot
More from Savannah
- Rincon couple James Owens, Nicole Wagner charged in ATV theft
- Retired Savannah-Chatham police major Douglas Burkhalter arrested in child porn investigation
- Savannah store owner Jay Patel busted purchasing stolen goods for his shop
- Debris on I-95 pushed shoulder of road
- Liberia opens 1 of largest Ebola treatment centers
The investigation into the fatal shooting in Burton on Sunday night continues.
It happened just before 5:30 p.m. Sunday yesterday, Beaufort County sheriff's deputies responded to Staffwood Lane on a report of a possible gunshot victim.
Darryl McArthur Greene, 40, was lying beside a vehicle with its engine running along the road, according to the BCSO. He had been shot several times and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators learned that Greene, who was previously from the Burton area, had been living in Stone Mountain, Ga., and was in town visiting relatives for the weekend. Greene had been talking with a group of people who were gathered in a common area on Staffwood Lane when the shooting occurred, according to the BCSO.
Investigators made contact with a female who was with Greene when he was killed, according to the sheriff's office. Few details are known about what led up to the shooting. A motive remains undetermined.
Anyone with information can contact either Investigator Cpl. A. Rice at 843.255.3429 or CrimeStoppers at 1.888.CRIME.SC (274-6372) or text the word TIPSC with a message to CRIMES (274637).
Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.