Glennville man carries cross on walk across South Georgia
Dennis Barnard has gotten used to the odd looks he gets as he walks through one South Georgia town after another.
"Their eyes go wild and they turn," he said. "But it gets their attention and that's the purpose."
This marks his fifth year of walking from the western side of South Georgia all the way back to his home in Glennville. Each year he makes the journey dressed as Jesus and carrying a large wooden cross over his shoulder.
The most curious onlooker asks what he's doing and why.
"You get to meet so many people out here in real life that you would never see in church, they'd never break open the doors of a church. It gives us so many opportunities," he noted.
This year Robert Carter, a friend who attends church with Barnard, came along for the full 300 mile journey. The two alternate carrying the cross to share the weight. The pair anticipate getting back to Glennville sometime Saturday afternoon.
Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Jealous woman Giselle Esteban jailed for 25 years after murdering her best friend 'in cold blood' over love rival
- Augusta murder conviction affirmed
- Folding Manhattan studio apartment that turns into a four-bedroom unit
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 382
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31