Jesse Jackson's group looking into Deen empire
Jesse Jackson's Rainbow/PUSH coalition was in Savannah last week, talking to people who worked for Paula Deen's Lady and Sons restaurant -- and for her brother's oyster house -- Uncle Bubba's.
Rainbow/PUSH Attorney Robert Patillo says problems with the restaurants go beyond current media reports, that the group has talked to several employees who say black people were held back from promotions, that racist and sexist jokes were tolerated and that one manager even called an employee a monkey.
"The 'n-word' is the smallest portion of this," Patillo said. "It's the manifestation of those personal prejudices into employment policies that have worked to injure individuals.
In a May deposition stemming from a lawsuit against her brother, Bubba Heirs, Deen admitted only to that n-word in the past but says it had been a quote "very long time ago." She has denied making racist jokes -- or allowing racial harassment.
Some doubting whether the Deen brand will recover. Smithfield -- the largest producer of pork products in the U.S. -- dropped Deen as a spokeswoman Monday, three days after the Food Network dropped her shows.
"Context is never an excuse for using derogatory statements toward any group or race of people," Public Relations and Brand Strategist Marvet Britto said.
Patillo says Rainbow/PUSH is coming back to Savannah this weekend to continue investigating employee claims.
Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Levi's and GAP are losing profits to yogas pants brand Lululemon
- Oregon woman has hand and part of arm amputated after it was caught in the hood of her truck
- Flight Attendant Jaclyn Luby Tries to Bring Loaded Gun Through Airport Security
- Folding Manhattan studio apartment that turns into a four-bedroom unit
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 382
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31