Budget cuts trim federal wildfire spending
By ALAN FRAM
WASHINGTON (AP) - This year's across-the-board budget cuts are slicing tens of millions of dollars from the federal government's funds for battling wildfires, reductions that have meant fewer firefighters and could cause agencies to dip into other programs designed to prevent future blazes.
The U.S. Forest Service's $2 billion-a-year firefighting budget, which comprises the bulk of the federal effort, has been reduced by 5%, a cut that has meant 500 fewer firefighters and 50 fewer fire engines than last year, agency officials say. The Interior Department's $37.5 million reduction has meant 100 fewer seasonal firefighter positions and other lost jobs as well, department officials say.
The reductions come as officials brace for a wildfire season they say might rival last year's, when about 9.3 million acres burned, 1 of the largest totals on record. The West in particular faces tinderbox conditions, which, combined with high winds, proved deadly last weekend when a wildfire killed 19 members of a firefighting crew outside Yarnell, Ariz.
"This reduces our capability and significantly constrains our work in fire response" and restoring land after fires, Interior Secretary Sally Jewell told the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee last month about the cuts.
So far, more than 22,000 wildfires have burned more than 1.5 million acres across the country, according to the government's National Interagency Coordination Center in Boise, Idaho, which helps oversee federal firefighting efforts.
Together, the Interior Department and the Agriculture Department, which includes the Forest Service, have around 13,000 firefighters.
The across-the-board budget cuts - called the sequester - have affected most federal programs and are the product of a deficit-reduction stalemate between President Barack Obama and congressional Republicans. The budget reductions, which are scheduled to cut federal spending by $1.2 trillion over the coming decade, have forced many agencies to take steps, including putting thousands of workers on unpaid furloughs.
Congressional aides said that because of the sequester, the Fire Service's suppression fund - which pays for overtime and other costs of fighting wildfires - has been cut from $538 million this year to $510 million. The service was also facing a $50 million cut in its fire preparedness budget, the fund used to hire firefighters and buy equipment.
The Interior Department, whose firefighting budget was $832 million before the sequester, was saving money from its reduced hiring of seasonal firefighters.
Many are being hired for shorter periods to save money, Jewell testified. Including the seasonal firefighters, the department will have 250 fewer positions in its fire programs, officials said.
When faced with emergency expenses for fighting wildfires that drain their funds, both agencies would draw money from other accounts in their budgets. From 2002 to 2012, the Fire Service transferred $2.7 billion from other programs to pay for fighting fires, $2.3 billion of which Congress eventually restored. That "still led to disruptions within all Forest Service programs," Thomas Tidwell, chief of the Forest Service, told the Senate Energy panel last month.
Agency officials and environmental groups say such transfers can be harmful over time. For example, getting money to fight fires by taking it from programs for removing hazardous fuels from dry areas can make it likelier that future wildfires will occur.
"When we have emergencies burning, the U.S. government will continue to spend money on firefighting, even if they don't have the money," said Christopher Topik, director of the Restoring America's Forests project for The Nature Conservancy, the environmental group. "So then they'll take it out of these other kinds of accounts, which are the ones that actually reduce the risk. That's what will end up happening, and that's not a good policy."
Officials said the across-the-board cuts have had no direct impact on the 110 Hotshot crews around the country, the highly trained units based mostly in the West who respond to the worst wildfires. Most are financed and trained by the Fire Service and some by the Interior Department, but a handful - like the Arizona crew whose members died - are run locally.
"I don't know of any Hotshot crew that's been disbanded or not filled or been mothballed because of the sequester," said Tom Nichols, division chief for fire and aviation management of the National Park Service, a part of the Interior Department. "Because they really are our first line and our elite line for dealing with wildfires."
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
A high school teacher in Utah has been arrested for allegedly having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student who was able to accurately describe ... Full story
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- How NOT to dive off a diving board
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Beyonce recreates iconic Rosie the Riveter feminist poster in new photo shoot
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- Is this the BUK missile launcher that downed flight MH17? Startling new picture emerges of gun-toting pro-Russian separatist posing in front of military hardware in Ukraine
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Heads on sticks: Sick ISIS video emerges showing 50 beheaded Syrian soldiers being impaled on poles and held aloft in Raqqa city
- Serena Williams wants to play tennis until she's 40
- Jenny McCarthy is 'terrified' after screwing over Oprah
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- Dontrell Darling: Fla. boy, 9, shot in face in drive-by while sleeping in his home
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Antonio Brown accused of dangling child from overpass while drunk and dressed as a clown
- Sheyla Hershey: Model who had biggest breasts in the world in a coma 'after taking a drugs overdose'
- Girlfriend Raquel Gonzalez ‘beat up her boyfriend after bad sex left her unsatisfied’
- More than $50 million stolen from unguarded van belonging to Libya's Central Bank
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- How low can he go? Boy, 6, breaks world record after he rollerskates under 39 cars parked just five inches off the ground
- Suspect flees in car of woman shot, killed in Smyrna
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Teacher Janel Ramirez seduced student by telling him he looked like 'Twilight' star
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- South Dakota bar owner Werner Fajardo charged with raping 3 girls
- US outlines case against Russia on downed plane
- Teacher Leslie Lamb Messer arrested 'for sex with student'
- Bad Santas! The police mugshots with an uncanny resemblance to Santa Claus
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Pregnant woman, 27, arrested 'after posting a selfie on Facebook wearing a stolen dress'
- My prison makeover: The hairdresser Kaylin Ransom, with 28 different (and very glamorous) mugshots
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- Florida man's smartphone takes a bullet for him
- Naked man walks into school's locker room, scares cheerleaders
- ‘Bored’ thug karate kicks innocent woman in the face in random attack
- Female 'separatist' posts Instagram selfie with mascara 'looted' from MH17 crash site
- Billionaire's Wife Lisa Maria Falcone charged with 'driving while ability impaired' in Hamptons crash
- Married Arizona woman Jennifer Dempsey, 35, posed as 16-year-old online to have sex with teen boys
- Tennessee woman Hannah Steiner, 18, 'raped 13-year-old boy in church after Sunday school service'
- Louise Thompson, FIFTH victim has emergency surgery as flesh-eating bacteria strikes again
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|