Passenger killed in Bluffton crash
More from Savannah
- Iraqi libraries ransacked by Islamic State group in Mosul
- Japan says efforts to free Islamic State hostage deadlocked
- Pennsylvania Ave. closed between Elgin St., Clemson St. as MAIT investigates accident
- Rap music mogul 'Suge' Knight arrested in fatal hit-and-run
- Walmart on Abercorn St. closed due to power outage
A fatal crash that occurred early Friday morning on Old Palmetto Bluff Road is under investigation.
A black Honda Civic was headed north on Old Palmetto Bluff Road overnight when it went off of the left side of the road, hit a tree and overturned in a small stream, according to Bluffton police.
Bluffton police responded at about 12:05 a.m.
Police said the driver Mason Deloach, 19, of Hardeeville, was wearing his seat belt. He was taken by Lifeflight to Memorial University Medical Center. He appears to have non-life-threatening injuries.
Passenger Makail Smith, 21, of Hardeeville, was pronounced dead at the scene. No one else was in the car at the time of the crash.
Bluffton Township Fire District, Beaufort County Emergency Medical Services, Palmetto Bluff Security, Beaufort County Sheriff's Office, South Carolina State Police and Beaufort County Coroner also responded.
Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.