Winter storm brings snow, kills at least 11
BOSTON (AP) - A storm dropped a blanket of light, powdery snow across the Northeast and ushered in frigid temperatures Friday that were unusual even for cities accustomed to arctic blasts. The winter weather, which shut down major highways temporarily and grounded flights, was blamed for at least 11 deaths as it swept across the eastern half of the country.
The nor'easter was accompanied by plummeting temperatures that on Friday morning reached 8 degrees below zero in Burlington, Vt., with a wind chill of 29 below, and 2 degrees in Boston, with a wind chill of minus 20. It dumped 23 inches of snow in Boxford, Mass., and 18 inches in parts of western New York near Rochester. Thirteen inches of snow fell in Boston, while Lakewood, N.J., got 10 inches and New York City's Central Park got 6.
Wellington Ferreira said the cold was worse than the snow as he cleared a sidewalk in front of Johnny D's Uptown Restaurant and Music Club in Somerville, Mass.
"My ears are frozen," he said. "I've been here for a couple a years, so I'm all right, but I hate it. I'm never going to get used to it."
Schools and offices were closed across the region, and police were busy responding to accidents and reports of stranded vehicles. Governors in New York and New Jersey declared states of emergency Thursday, urging residents to stay home. But few power outages were reported Friday and wind gusts actually made the snow easy to manage.
"It's light and fluffy, so it's easy," said 33-year-old Michael Connors, was shoveling in front of businesses in downtown Fairfield, Conn.
Sonja Keller of Scituate, Mass., was out walking her labradoodle puppy near the ocean as waves came over a seawall. Because of high winds, the snow was knee deep in some places and barely visible in others. Her children, ages 4, 6 and 8, had gotten in almost a full day of school on Thursday but were off again Friday.
"I'm just going to stay inside, play some games with the kids," she said. "They can go outside and play in the snow again. They enjoy the snow."
U.S. airlines canceled more than 2,300 flights Thursday because of the snowfall and low visibility. By midday Friday, about 2,200 flights were canceled nationwide, according to the aviation tracking website FlightAware.com. The bulk of those were in New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago and Washington, D.C.
The brunt of the storm began late Thursday in parts of New England and New York state. Forecasters warned that gusts of up to 30 miles per hour could bring wind chills to minus 25 degrees, cold enough to cause frostbite in about 30 minutes or less, with some of the coldest temperatures expected Friday night. The weather service said people should dress warmly to avoid hypothermia and cover all exposed skin.
Warming centers opened around the region, homeless shelters saw larger crowds and cities took special measures to look after those most vulnerable to the cold. Outreach teams were searching New York City streets for homeless people at risk of freezing to death.
Temperatures in the Northeast are expected to rise above freezing over the weekend, before the arrival of another blast of frigid air that was already affecting the Midwest. In Wisconsin, a record low temperature was set Friday morning in Green Bay, where the mercury dipped to minus 18. The National Weather Service said that topped the 17-below-zero mark last recorded in 1979.
It was so cold in a place that bills itself as Snowtown USA that some events at the town's winter festival were canceled. Organizers of this week's Snowtown festival in Watertown in northern New York scratched a snowshoe tour, horse-drawn carriage rides, dog sled rides and a snow softball tournament as temperatures plunged below zero across the North Country. Organizers moved other outdoor activities to indoor facilities.
The weather posed the first test for New York City's new mayor, Bill de Blasio, who was sworn in to lead the nation's largest city a day before the heavy snow arrived.
De Blasio, who as public advocate in 2010 criticized his predecessor Mayor Michael Bloomberg for his handling of a large snowstorm, dispatched hundreds of plows and salt spreaders on the streets as soon as the snow started falling Thursday night.
"I feel great about the response," De Blasio said Friday after shoveling the sidewalk outside his Brooklyn home. "We are vigilant. We are not out of this yet. As a great man said, 'It's not over until it's over.' But I like what I see in terms of the rigor and the intensity of the city response."
In Hallowell, Maine, where temperatures dipped to minus 8 degrees Friday morning, David Wheelock used a shovel to search the snow where he dropped his keys outside his son's copy and printing shop.
The 73-year-old lifelong Maine resident said he's seen his fair share of bad winters and wasn't too fazed by the snow and bitter cold. But he said it can be dangerous if people aren't prepared for the worst, with things like back-up heat sources at home, and jumper cables and extra clothes in the car.
"I don't always rely on someone else to come bail me out," he said.
In the East, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered three major highways closed overnight. The Thruway between Albany and the Bronx, the Long Island Expressway and Interstate 84 between the Pennsylvania and Connecticut borders all reopened Friday morning. Southbound Interstate 95 closed in Philadelphia for several hours because of a jackknifed tractor-trailer.
Amtrak was running trains on all of its Northeast lines on Friday but operating on a modified schedule, spokeswoman Christina Leeds said. Commuter trains in and out of New York City were operating on reduced schedules.
Slick roads were blamed for traffic deaths in New York, Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois. Authorities said a 71-year-old woman suffering from Alzheimer's disease froze to death after she wandered away from her rural western New York home.
As the storm approached, a worker at a suburban Philadelphia salt storage facility was killed when a 100-foot-tall pile of road salt fell and crushed him. Falls Township police said the man was trapped while operating a backhoe.
The snowstorm worked its way east from the Midwest, where it dropped up to a foot of snow on Michigan and more than a foot in parts of Illinois, prompting the cancellation Thursday of hundreds of flights at both Chicago airports. It merged with low pressure moving northeast off the mid-Atlantic coast, forming a nor'easter.
AP Airlines Writer Scott Mayerowitz in New York and Associated Press writers Geoff Mulvihill in Mount Laurel, N.J.; Rik Stevens in Concord, N.H., Steve LeBlanc in Somerville, Mass., John Christoffersen in Fairfield, Conn., Jim Fitzgerald in White Plains, N.Y., Jonathan Lemire, Ula Ilnytzky and Karen Matthews in New York, Chris Carola in Albany, N.Y., Alanna Durkin in Augusta, Maine, and Jackie Quinn in Washington contributed to this report.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Tiffany York: Stepfather of girl, 17, killed by soldiers planning to assassinate the President lunges at them in court
A man whose teen step-daughter was allegedly shot dead by three soldiers to protect an anti-government militia group rushed and yelled at one of the ... Full story
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- Jenny McCarthy is 'terrified' after screwing over Oprah
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- More than $50 million stolen from unguarded van belonging to Libya's Central Bank
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- How NOT to dive off a diving board
- Transgender performer Christopher Lynch sentenced to 14 years for pimping teen
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Hot or Not: Rihanna Boatneck Sweater
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Glee star Becca Tobin’s boyfriend Matt Bendik found dead in Philadelphia hotel room
- Pregnant teen Brooke Slocum strangled and boyfriend decapitated after Craigslist sex meeting with stranger
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- Verizon boosts FiOS uploads to match downloads
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- Scientists invent pure lithium cells that may mean phone batteries last FOUR times longer
- 'Fast-track the Ebola drug': U.S. under pressure to give potentially life-saving medication the green light as experts warn of global pandemic
- Yep, this is Christina Aguilera's baby shower cake...
- Navahcia Edwards: Model 'robbed bank at gunpoint with her ex-boyfriend wearing NUN costumes inspired by the movie The Town'
- Female armed robber stripped, beaten and set alight by angry lynch mob
- Little Rascals star Blake McIver now a buff go-go dancer
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- Xbox One turns into 'sex box'
- Homer Simpson tries and fails to get in Oscars selfie
- Pregnant woman Tiffany Robbins, baby dies after Acworth crash
- Twitter discloses diversity numbers — most workers are white or Asian
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Meriam Ibrahim, put on death row for marrying Christian, learned of rescue plan 2 hours beforehand
- Father of Abigail Hernandez's boyfriend Jimmy Campbell pleads to be told where teen was
- Family of 5 shot dead in Maine, gun recovered
- Phenix City leaders meet for charter review session
- Hundreds of teens have died playing this old, but popular game
- Kari Lynn Bryan: Educator accused of having sex with special needs student
- Jennifer Lawrence Strips Down For GQ, 'X-Men' Director Sings Her Praises (PHOTOS)
- Janet Jackson 'secretly engaged to Qatari billionaire Wissam Al Mana'
- Barbara Lafleur: arrested after strolling through lumber store... in the nude
- Country musician Abraham Spear tried to have sex with 7 and 9 year old girls while playing in Dallas
- NJ woman Wendy Tucker arrested for flashing breasts to surveillance camera
- Ex-NFL player Larry Roberts arrested in Ga. 400 crash
- Jailed for 40 years, the two teenage boys who executed a 'trusting' classmate.
- 'She's got Tourette's': Lawyer for 'hiccup girl' charged with murder says he'll use syndrome as her defence
- Attorney Reema Bajaj, 25, charged with prostitution for 'performing $50 sex-act on man'
- Guilty Verdict for Hit and Run Driver, Jorida Davidson
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|