Mexico's fearless woman mayor Maria Santos Gorrostieta 'executed' after surviving two assassination attempts
The body of a woman once called a 'heroine of the 21st century' for fearlessly standing up to Mexico's brutal drug cartels has been found beaten to death at the side of a road.
Maria Santos Gorrostieta, 36, was the former mayor of Tiquicheo, a rural district in Michoacan, west of Mexico City.
She famously survived two assassination attempts by narcotics gangs who have turned the country into a war zone.
Her brave defiance may have cost the mother-of-three her life. The official cause of death was a blow to the head but she had been stabbed, her legs and hands had been bound and her waist and chest were covered in burns, suggesting she had been tortured.
She was discovered by residents of the community of San Juan Tararameo, Cuitzeo Township, who were heading to work in the fields.
Her family had reported her missing on November 14, and the disappearance was being investigated by the Anti-Kidnapping and Extortion Institution.
A murder investigation has now been launched.
The first assassination attempt was while in October 2009 when the car she was travelling in with her husband Jose Sanchez came under fire from gunmen in the town of El Limone.
The attack claimed his life but Gorrostieta lived. An attempt had been made on Sanchez's life earlier that year, but he managed to escape the armed mob who came after him.
Gorrostieta, who had been elected in 2008, bravely battled back from her injuries in the face of overwhelming tragedy, but she was not destined to know peace.
The next attempt on her life was just three months later, when an masked group carrying assault rifles ambushed her on the road between Michoacan and Guerreo state. The van she was traveling in was peppered by 30 bullets. Three hit her.
This time Gorrostieta's injuries were more severe, leaving multiple scars and forcing her to wear a colostomy bag. She was left in constant pain.
A reporter was also wounded in the attack, as well as her press officer and brother.
Grim discovery: Residents of the community of San Juan Tararameo found her body as they went to work in the fields
Sickening: Gorrostieta shows the wounds she sustained from the ambushers' gunfire and the subsequent car crash
Wounds: The ex-mayor was lucky to survive the second attack. She was left in constant pain and was forced to use a colostomy bag
In a famous act of defiance, she posed for pictures showing the extent of her horrifying wounds to draw attention to the brutality the drug gangs routinely mete out to their opponents.
Speaking at the time she said: 'I wanted to show you my wounds because I'm not ashamed that my body is mutilated like this.
'It is the result of shameful acts which have marked my life and the lives of my children. But I am not ashamed.
Murder: The corpse of Dr Gorrostieta, found by farm workers from San Juan Tararameo. She had been burned, beaten and stabbed
'There are some that have said I made these attacks up. But I did not and now I show the physical proof to those who have doubted me.'
She added: 'Every day I fight and battle in my mind to erase the memories of the terrible things I lived through.'
'At a different time in my life, maybe I would have resigned from my post, my responsibilities.
'But it is no longer possible now that I have three children whom I have to teach by example.
'Beside that I have the memories of my husband, the father of my children who knew how to teach the value of things and fight for them.'
Icon: Maria was described by a prominent Mexican journalist as 'a heroine of the 21st century'
Casualty of war: Gorrostieta is the latest official murdered by cartels in Mexico's bloody battle over drugs
She added: 'He is no longer with us but he remains the guiding light for my decisions.'
After her ordeal she ran for a seat in Mexico's Congress of the Union but failed to gain the backing she needed.
Mexico has been torn apart by murderous drug gangs since President Felipe Calderon launched his drug offensive in 2006.
More than 50,000 people have been killed in clashes between rival drug cartels and security forces and about two dozen mayors have been murdered.
WHO runs the world? Beyoncé. But she wants other women to join in on the fun, too. Queen Bey flew her feminist flag high today ... Full story
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Manchester United 7-0 LA Galaxy: Wayne Rooney, Reece James and Ashley Young doubles ensure perfect start for Louis van Gaal
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- How not to react in a debate: TV discussion about Gaza and Syria turns violent
- Jenny McCarthy is 'terrified' after screwing over Oprah
- killer Joseph Rudolph Wood WILL be executed after Arizona court halted lethal injection
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- More than $50 million stolen from unguarded van belonging to Libya's Central Bank
- Suspect flees in car of woman shot, killed in Smyrna
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- A giant haggis, cabers, golf clubs, 41 Scottish terriers, Rod Stewart, Billy Connolly, the Queen, lashings of self-deprecation and even a gay kiss - Glasgow's Commonwealth Games begin in style
- Pro-Russian looters pulled Tesco binoculars from British MH17 victim's suitcase - but threw them back because they were broken
- Dutch call for Putin's daughter to be deported after it is discovered she lives in Holland with her boyfriend: Ukrainians also plan protest outside her apartment
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Moment hero cop and driver took down assault rifle-toting gunman after he went on a terrifying twenty minute rampage
- Police: Officer opens fire on sword-wielding man Julian Faulkner
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- At last, some dignity for the victims of MH17: 40 hearses and thousands of mourners line highways to pay respects
- Thanksgiving Storm: Freezing weather spreads as storm heads toward U.S. East Coast
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- FaceTime not working on your iPad or iphone? Here’s the fix
- Igor Girkin says 'MH17 bodies aren't fresh' as he claims corpses had been 'dead for days'
- Crash victims survive after car is crushed flat by lorry's shipping container load
- Teacher Amy Bass Jackson arrested for sex with student
- Justin Bieber makes it rain cash at strip club
- Long time Atlanta fugitive found working in Claxton
- Tom Greer shoots dead female burglar who said she was pregnant: ‘She best be dead’
- Actress Charlize Theron is barely recognisable in her Mad Max role, as first-look pictures emerge
- #ThanksObama: President's motorcade prevents a woman in labor from getting to LA hospital for 30 minutes
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Amazon seeks permission from United States Federal Aviation Administration for drone tests
- TransAsia Airways plane crash debris recovered from residential area in Taiwan
- Serena Williams wants to play tennis until she's 40
World NewsGet the latest World news headlines from Georgia Newsday!. Find breaking World news, including expert analysis, commentaries, videos and opinions.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|