A Canadian woman was fired from her job after suffering an allergic reaction while she was at work.
18- year- old, Danielle Duperreault, a former sales associate at an Urban Planet retailer, said she came in contact with bell peppers, to which she is "severely allergic to" while on the clock at the store.
Duperreault posted the story in a message on Facebook.
"I called a manager upstairs and one came up asking me what was wrong, at that point my airway was already closing,"
"She proceeded to show a tremendous amount of attitude. I did not have an EpiPen on me at the time because mine was expired and I needed to get a prescription for a new one. So she told me to go look in my car then proceeded to of wander off."
Duperreault said that she then became faint, nauseous and light-headed. Concerned co-workers asked how they could help her, and she was eventually rushed to a medical clinic by one of her co-workers, where she was treated with epinephrine.
"My throat had almost completely closed and I nearly passed out due to lack of oxygen," Duperreault wrote. "The doctors said if I would have waited another ten minutes I would be dead."
Later, while Duperreault was in an ambulance, her supervisor texted her. Instead of asking how she was doing, the supervisor terminated her employment.
"I gave your shifts away this week, and unfortunately, I won't be scheduling you any longer," the boss wrote in a text message that Duperreault posted online. "We will mail your last pay stub to you. Take care, wish you all the best."
Duperreault, who had been working at the retailer for two months, told CBC. "I feel like I was fired for having another allergic reaction because I had another one before, but it went really well because I had my EpiPen with me," "Everything was calm and cool and I went to the hospital. This one was handled terribly."
According to the post, the supervisor also fired the concerned employee who took Duperreault to the hospital.
Duperreault, however, claims that she was not angry at the supervisor who fired her. Instead, she said her aim was to "raise awareness about allergies in the workplace."
"I firmly believe that there should always be an epi pen on hand in every store," Duperreault wrote. "Who knows if a customer needs one in an emergency or someone who doesn't know they have allergies and doesn't own an EpiPen. And frankly everyone I talked to about this believes that if she seen a customer in peril, she'd jump in to help... There should be training on how to administer an epi pen, how to handle a situation like that, and how to deal with the after math."
According to BuzzFeed the CEO of Y. M. Inc., parant company of Urban Planet, apologized to Duperreault for the incident.
"We have thoroughly investigated this. Simply put, the actions were unacceptable," a spokesperson said. "We take very seriously the health and well-being of all our employees. We have reached out to Ms. Duperreault and we would ask for everyone's patience as we work through this situation."
Dupperreault told CBC News that the company has promised to pay her until she finds a new job.
"That’s more than I could’ve asked for," she said.
The original post has been shared on social media nearly 18,000 times.