The Christian movement that tells husbands to SPANK their wives 'to correct misbehavior'
A growing number of married American couples are agreeing to allow husbands to keep their wives 'in line' by taking to corporal punishment.
The trend is called Christian Domestic Discipline and much of what is known about the practice is published on the website Learning Domestic Discipline, published by husband and wife CDD duo, Clint and Chelsea.
The website states: 'It is an arrangement between two adults who share the belief that the husband is the head of the household and with that position comes the right to enforce his authority.'
Clint and Chelsea have also written a 50-page packet on the practice called Beginning Domestic Discipline.
Manifesto: Learningdd.com is a source of a lot of information on the new painful Christian trend
In the packet they describe CDD as a ‘practice between two consenting life partners in which the head of household (HoH) takes the necessary measures to achieve a healthy relationship dynamic.’
That translates to all methods of punishment, not exclusive to spanking. Clint and Chelsea advocate lecturing, removing privileges, corner and bedroom time – essentially the ways most people discipline their children.
For CDD enthusiasts, this type of punishment isn’t sexual in nature.
Vera (anonymous last name), who is in a CDD relationship with her husband told The Daily Beast that the practice is in no-way sexual.
'The pure CDD people don't go there. A lot of folks think of Fifty Shades of Grey - but this is not that.’
Spanking is clearly the bread and butter of this kind of relationship. Eighteen pages of the CDD manifesto are dedicated to spanking and how to properly go about administering spanks.
Tools: A hairbrush is one of the listed items sanctioned for spanking on in the Beginning Domestic Discipline packet
Paddle: A wooden spoon is another spanking tool. In the packet, Clint and Chelsea warn that one of the cons with this tool is that it 'can break easily'
Clint and Chelsea talk about all aspects of spanking such as the ‘awkward’ first spanking, the various tools that can be used to administer the spankings, what position the wife should be in and the pros and cons of spanking over or under clothing.
Corporal punishment at home obviously leads to questions about whether or not this is domestic abuse. Clint and Chelsea stress in their packet that CDD should only practiced by consenting adults and that the HoH should never punish while angry.
‘If the HoH becomes angry, they must do whatever it takes to get themselves back to a calm, reasonable, rational, level-headed, and collected state before making any decision or carrying out any punishment.’
But as evidenced on many forums dedicated to CDD, the practice has turned violent in cases.
‘I wanted the spankings to stop and my husband told me it was either DD and marriage or divorce. I chose divorce. I couldn't handle the pain of spankings anymore, emotionally or physically,’ a woman named Michelle wrote on a popular CDD blog found in reporting by The Daily Beast.
What’s scarier is how little fear is expressed in these forums.
XOJane writer Laura Rubino investigated the issue and trolled the internet looking for horror stories but was surprised when she ‘didn’t find as many of those as I was expecting to.’
'Most of the women who write about their CDD experiences online are not complaining. Many of them report feeling extremely calm and relaxed after being disciplined, and believe it is an expression of their husband caring about them and their marriage, enough to help them modify their behavior,’ Rubino said.
The punishment, Rubino said, offers these women a clean slate and they don’t have to worry about passive aggressive tension after a fight.
While many of these women rave about CDD, it’s not something that Rubino would voluntarily sign herself up for.
‘Walking around my own home, conscious of the fact that any perceived transgression could result in physical pain and a surrendering of control of my body? That would stress me the f*** out. I don't find that sexy at all. Scary, yes. Hot? Not so much.'
Jim Alsdurf, a forensic psychologist who has written a book on abuse in Christian homes, agrees.
‘No fool in his right mind would but this as a legitimate way to have a relationship. A relationship that infantilizes a woman is one that clearly draws a more pathological group of people.’
Even conservative Christians aren’t behind this trend. Radio host Bryan Fisher told The Huffington Post that he finds no basis in Christianity for such a relationship. He described the trend as ‘horrifying,’ ‘ bizarre,’ ‘unbiblical’ and ’un-Christian’.
'God in the New Testament clearly asks wives to arrange themselves under the leadership of their husbands (in Greek, the word 'submit' means 'to arrange under.') But there is no place where husbands are instructed to make their wives do it or punish them if they don't.'
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- Outrage as 76-year-old man ARRESTED at town hall meeting for asking board members to speak louder
- How not to react in a debate: TV discussion about Gaza and Syria turns violent
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Fears Americans died in MH71 crash: State department investigates agency report 23 US citizens were aboard flight shot down over Ukraine
- Goldman Sachs MD Nicholas Valtz found dead after kiteboarding outing
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- Wrong-way drunk driver dies in crash that killed two women
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Husband caught teacher wife Amie Neely, 38, having sex with exchange student, 16, after tracking her via GPS phone app
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Police: Pregnant woman Danielle Saxton posted selfies in stolen dress
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Man, 97, is thrown out of retirement home for 'playing ukulele too much'
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- Pregnant woman, 27, arrested 'after posting a selfie on Facebook wearing a stolen dress'
- Dontrell Darling: Fla. boy, 9, shot in face in drive-by while sleeping in his home
- Pregnant teen Brooke Slocum strangled and boyfriend decapitated after Craigslist sex meeting with stranger
- Snapchat reveals geofilters that can only be unlocked in the right place
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Clayton Board Member Trinia Garrett Accused of Downloading Porn
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Teacher's aide and mother of two Clarice Lee 'had sex with three students while three others watched and videotaped
- The 12 major travel destinations you can skip
- Chinese man trying to con driver into thinking she'd run him over, is run over
- WWE Russian-themed characters slammed for using MH17 tragedy as part of act
- American tourist, 25, found dead in Rio De Janeiro forest after 'falling into a ravine'
- Retired couple strangled to death over $120 by two men hired to do chores
- Man 'has sex with dog on camera'
- Palestinian civilian 'shot dead by Israeli sniper as he desperately searched for family'
- Firefighter calendar pin-up Taylor Murphy accused in brutal beating of transsexual girlfriend Claudia Charriez
- Is this proof British Open winner Rory McIlroy is dating Nadia Forde?
- Angry Customer Melodi Dushane Loses It at McDonald's Drive-Thru over McNuggets
- Falmouth Family loses 2 sons weeks apart
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Out of this world! Bikini-clad Kim Kardashian channels blond Barbarella for Beach Bunny Swimwear ad
- Steward who changed flights to work MH17 at the last minute had wife who had swapped OFF MH370
- Miley Cyrus flashes the flesh in Lil' Kim-inspired outfit
- Chris Brown enters rehab for anger issues
- DeKalb man William Matthews Simmons accused of inappropriate relationship with 15-year-old boy
- Sleeping man picture goes viral
- Women: DeKalb officer Jeremy Reynolds asked for sexual favors to avoid jail
- Dutch 'Black Pete' Christmas custom may be racist, warns UN
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|