High school coach Bob Grisham suspended without pay after ranting about 'fat butt' Michelle Obama and 'queers'
The Alabama high school coach who said First Lady Michelle Obama's 'fat butt' was temporarily suspended over the disparaging remarks.
Head coach Bob Grisham, of Lauderdale County High School in Rogersville, Alabama, was secretly taped while ranting about Mrs Obama and repeatedly expressing his antipathy towards 'queers.'
The Lauderdale County Board of Education suspended Grisham without pay for ten days and demanded that he attend sensitivity training classes.
In the 90-second audio clip recorded on Monday and later obtained by the TimesDaily, the coach could be heard saying that 'fat butt Michelle Obama' is responsible for the lighter, 600-calorie school lunches.
Another voice is heard in the background referring to the president’s wife as 'big fat gorilla.'
Grisham continues his tirade, telling his audience that Mrs Obama looks like she weighs 185 or 190lbs and appears overweight.
The coach then goes on a rant about how the country is going in the wrong direction and says several times that he doesn't 'believe in queers' and doesn’t like 'queers.'
'I don't hate them as a person but what they do is wrong, it's an abomination against God,' Grisham said. 'I don't like being around queers.'
Scroll down to hear the recording
Harsh words: Grisham told his students that Mrs Obama is responsible for the lighter 600-calorie school lunches, even though she weighs '185-190lbs' and looks 'overweight'
Grisham has since spoke out in defense of his remarks, telling the TimesDaily that he misspoke in a debate-style discussion about the state of the country, but that did not stop him from being suspended.
‘I have no hatred toward anyone or any group. People that know my heart, they know that,’ he added.
Schools Superintendent Jennifer Gray said school board members are scheduled to meet February 14 for a special session to determine if Grisham is to be disciplined for his outburst.
Since the controversy broke, school officials said Grisham has been away on personal business and has not been back to school.
Class discussion: A student at Lauderdale County High School in Rogersville, Alabama, recorded Grisham's 90-second tirade targeting Mrs Obama and homosexuals
The LGBT community has reacted with outrage to Grisham's comments, with advocacy groups calling for his firing.
'Every time I listen to this recording, I become angrier and angrier,' James Robinson, of GLBT Advocacy and Youth Services, told WAAY-TV.
He added, ‘This is wrong, unethical, unprofessional, on so many levels, that there should be no question that if it is verified that this happened in a classroom, that this teacher should be removed from his position.’
A group called Alabama Citizens for Equality created an online petition to push the Lauderdale County school system to terminate Grisham, stating, ‘With Alabama's rich history of ignoring, encouraging, and often inciting prejudice or hatred towards minority groups, this speech should never be tolerated within school walls,’ AL.com reported.
Some in the community, however, spoke up in support of the beleaguered coach. One student in the high school said that the incident has been blown out of proportion, and that Grisham meant his remarks as a 'joke.'
Grisham has been employed by the school district since 1991 and has been the head coach of the Lauderdale County High School for the past five years.
He has led the Tigers to three straight seasons of 10 or more wins, and this past season, he helped the team reach the state semifinals.
According to the Lauderdale County High School website, besides coaching the football team, Grisham also teaches driver's education and psychology.
The coach graduated from Lauderdale County High School in 1984 and went on to earn a social science degree from Athens State College and a Master's degree in learning disabilities from University of North Alabama.
Between 1994 and 2003, he served as a football coach at nearby Lexington High School.
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- A model fan! Belgian teen lands L'Oreal contract after being photographed at World Cup game
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- First marathon runner crosses finish line
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Georgia Governor Nathan Deal finally takes responsibility for winter weather chaos
- Sleeping man picture goes viral
- Russian cosmonauts take Olympic torch on first historic spacewalk outside space station
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- Mike Tyson opens up about bankruptcy, how much sex he got in jail and how he told his ex-wife he had AIDS
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- The 12 major travel destinations you can skip
- Feds post food allergy guidelines for schools
- 400-meter asteroid sighted may 'blow up the earth' in 2032
- Second extortion attempt on Hong Kong set of 'Transformers 4: Age of Extinction'
- Camel visits Columbus for Hump Day!
- Georgia Southern takes aim at new shooting sports center
- The adjustable airline seats that widen according to your size (and how much you're willing to pay)
- Virus holds computer files ransom
- Slain LAX TSA officer remembered as a family man
- Typhoon Haiyan wreaks havoc as death toll rises in Philippines
- Sorry Charlie's facade inspection to take place Friday
- Free swastika tattoos aim to 'reclaim' Nazi symbol's original Buddhist meaning of peace and love
- Be There: Motivating high school students to continue their education
- It's Bob Baaa-ley! Marley the sheep sports amazing dreadlocks (and her trainer can't keep him off the grass)
- Mother Shannon Dodson 'drowned son then set body on fire'
- King Edward VIII dropped F-bomb at having to miss rendezvous with lover
- Is organic food really better?
- Georgia company expands recall of pet treats
- GA police use tiny serial numbers to track goods
- Medical crew killed in helicopter crash on way to pick up sick child
- Squirrel invasion sweeping Georgia
- The Facebook photo of a high school basketball coach Laraine Cook being groped by her fiance that got her fired
- Robert Felix Gonzales charged with prostituting teen runaway on Craigslist in exchange for meth and cash
- The scents of success? Meet the twin sisters who help control where you spend your money - all through the power of smell
- Typhoon slams Philippines; high death toll feared
- Married leader of controversial Quiverfull movement which promotes family values resigns after having an affair
- AU safety experts urge community to watch out for date rape drugs
- 9th annual Wounded Warrior & Wheelchair Hunt
- Negotiators report little progress in budget talks
- Residents near Ga. base warned of weapons training
- SCAD students recreate Cinderella's Carriage
- Hero Nebraska veteran plunged into Chinese river to save drowning woman
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|