Sports Blogger Claire Crawford Chastises NBA Cheerleader for 'Pudginess'
UPDATE - A CBS blogger who wrote about the perceived weight problem of NBA Oklahoma City Thunder cheerleader, Kelsey Williams, has been fired after labeling her 'too chunky' to perform.
Under the pen name 'Claire Crawford,' blogger and CBS Radio 610 digital content manager, Anna-Megan Raley, wrote last week: '[Mrs Williams] has been criticized by some folks in [Oklahoma] for having “pudginess” around her waistline... Is this chick “too chunky” to be a cheerleader?'
After outraged commenters on the CBS Houston site called for Ms Raley to be fired, with many writing, 'This is a disgusting waste of an article,' News 9 has now reported that she has indeed been let go.
A CBS Houston sports blogger has come under fire for questioning whether an Oklahoma City Thunder Girl was "too chunky" to be an NBA cheerleader.
Blogger Claire Crawford targeted Oklahoma City Thunder cheerleader Kelsey Williams' looks on the court after the Houston Rockets faced off against the Oklahoma City Thunder in the first round of the NBA Playoffs.
"The Rockets looked terrible in Game 1, but some say they weren't the only bad-looking people on the court," Crawford wrote.
While she conceded Williams was a "pretty blonde," she wrote Oklahoma City fans had criticized her for "having 'pudginess' around her waistline."
"But if she's comfortable wearing that tiny outfit and dancing for NBA fans, then good for her," Crawford wrote. "Besides…not every man likes women to be toothpick skinny. I'd say most men prefer a little extra meat on her bones."
A poll asked attached to his column asked readers what their opinions were on Williams in the Oklahoma City Thunder cheerleader outfit.
Voters could choose from three options. Either they thought Williams had "the perfect look to be an NBA cheerleader," "she could use some tightening up in her midsection," or "she has no business wearing that outfit in front of people."
Blogger blooper: Under the pen name 'Claire Crawford,' blogger Anna-Megan Raley said Miss Williams had a 'pudgy waistline'
Williams politely fired back at the post on Twitter.
"To be womanly always, discouraged never," she wrote.
"We wouldn't know what blessings were if we didn't go through trials. Thank you to EVERYONE for the compassion and love today. I'm in awe," she tweeted on April 24.
CBS Houston has since removed the post from its website, but a cached version of the page is still available online.
The Houston Chronicle reported that Crawford was a pseudonym for Anna-Megan Raley, who once blogged for the paper and posted a video of her audition to be a Houston Dynamo soccer team cheerleader. Raley's Twitter accounts, under her name and her alias, Crawford, have been deleted.
This isn't the first time a professional sports team cheerleader has been criticized for her looks.
Former Green Bay Packers cheerleader Kaitlyn Collins took to YouTube to post a video in response to a cruel post where she was called "ugly" and "an eyesore" on an unofficial Chicago Bears Fan page in February.
WHO runs the world? Beyoncé. But she wants other women to join in on the fun, too. Queen Bey flew her feminist flag high today ... Full story
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Beyonce and Jay Z wear matching ski masks in new poster announcing their summer tour On The Run Star
- Crash victims survive after car is crushed flat by lorry's shipping container load
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- Dontrell Darling: Fla. boy, 9, shot in face in drive-by while sleeping in his home
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- 10 ways to improve your body
- Kangaroo kicks up a fuss in West Texas town, but is it a k-rime?
- Footage of woman with airport alligator shows they took train to Chicago's O'Hare airport
- Antonio Brown accused of dangling child from overpass while drunk and dressed as a clown
- White Republican Dave Wilson wins election in inner city Houston after PRETENDING to be African-American in campaign flyers
- Mystery of creepy dolls left outside California homes that resemble the little girls who live there
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Manchester United 7-0 LA Galaxy: Wayne Rooney, Reece James and Ashley Young doubles ensure perfect start for Louis van Gaal
- Drunken mockery of U.S. tourists in the wake of 9/11 returns to haunt soccer star Lampard as he prepares to sign for NYC team
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Homeowner makes astonishing TV boast about shooting 'pregnant' home invader dead as she pleaded for mercy - as police say her ACCOMPLICE could be charged with her murder
- Man goes to hospital for circumcision, wakes up with no penis
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- 'Hamas militants' rounded up by Israeli soldiers during Gaza offensive
- Fancy a bite? Woman hauls in massive 143.7kg tuna south of Sydney that is big enough to feed an entire suburb
- Couple killed in Virginia campsite tornado as their son fights for his life
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
- killer Joseph Rudolph Wood WILL be executed after Arizona court halted lethal injection
- Math teacher Ashley Anderson, 24, 'who sent students nude pics of herself' admits to having sex with them
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- Golfing buddies make parody of Queen's iconic hit Bohemian Rhapsody
- Mother who left two sons in hot car while she was at job interview may avoid prosecution
- MH17 investigators find more bodies and parts of passenger jet
- Madonna Badger who lost three kids and grandparents in Christmas fire finds love and marries
- Pro-Russian looters pulled Tesco binoculars from British MH17 victim's suitcase - but threw them back because they were broken
- Harry Styles lookalike Aron Dale quits university but is booked just 6 times in a year
- Chinese billionaire Liu Yiqian drinks world's most expensive cup of tea
- Daniel Stillwell: Man who killed ex-girlfriend, another man in double homicide found dead after driving car over cliff
- Indian rape suspects lie beaten after 7-year-old girl found hanging from tree
- Tennessee woman Hannah Steiner, 18, 'raped 13-year-old boy in church after Sunday school service'
- Buddhist monk sex tape made by woman and holy man in their Massachusetts' temple leaks online and prompts her to sue
- US weighs refugee status for Central American kids
Sports NewsGet the latest sports news from Georgia Newsday!. Find breaking sports news, including expert analysis, commentaries, videos, opinions and more.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|