Floyd Mayweather Jr. scores unanimous decision against Miguel Cotto
Floyd Mayweather Jr. hadn’t been pushed to the limit in more than a decade, since Jose Luis Castillo waltzed him around the ring as a junior lightweight in 2002. Since then Mayweather has been on cruise control as he has sailed to the top of the boxing world.
Miguel Cotto (37-3, 30 KOs) gave Mayweather as much as he could handle, but in the end it wasn’t enough as Mayweather scored a hard-fought 12-round unanimous decision to take away Cotto’s WBA super welterweight title before an electrified crowd at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Saturday night.
(R-L) Floyd Mayweather Jr.throws a right to the face of Miguel Cotto during their WBA super welterweight title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 5, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Judges Patricia Morse Jarmin and Dave Moretti scored it 117-111 and Robert Hoyle scored it 118-111, all for Mayweather. The Daily News scored it 117-111 for Mayweather.
Right after the fight ended, Mayweather said to Cotto, “You’re a hell of a champion. You’re the toughest guy I ever fought.
“Look, when fights are on Pay-Per-View you want to give the fans what they paid for and that’s excitement,” Mayweather added. “It comes with the territory when you fight a future Hall of Famer like Miguel Cotto. I had to fight hard, I had to suck it up. I knew I would have to come into the fight and fight hard. He came to fight, not to survive. I dug down and I fought him back.”
Mayweather (43-0, 26 KOs) was walked into the ring by pop star Justin Bieber and rapper 50 Cent. The crowd, which had booed Mayweather previously when he was shown entering the arena before the fight, didn’t boo when he walked to the ring.
This night was made possible by Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa, who postponed Mayweather’s 90-day jail sentence so that he could fight Cotto. Mayweather will have to report to the Clark County Detention Center on June 1 to begin serving that sentence, which stemmed from his guilty plea on a domestic abuse charge.
On going to jail on June 1, Mayweather said: “It comes with the territory. In life there’s obstacles, and I take the good with the good and the bad with the bad. I’ll deal with it.”
Mayweather quickly established his superiority in speed, quickness and defensive slickness. The first half of the second round was spent with Mayweather fighting with his back against the ropes in his corner, ducking, slipping and catching punches as Cotto flailed away. Mayweather would fire a few quick uppercuts just to let Cotto feel his presence.
(L-R) Miguel Cotto throws a left punch at Floyd Mayweather Jr. during their WBA super welterweight title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 5, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Even though he spent most of the fight right in front of the Puerto Rican champion, Mayweather proved an elusive target. Cotto landed his first clean shot of the fight in the fifth round — a sharp left hook — as Mayweather’s back was pinned to the ropes. It was a start. Later in the round he bloodied Mayweather’s nose with a straight left. Mayweather acknowledged the shot by stepping back and smiling.
Cotto had his finest round in the eighth as Mayweather began to slow enough for Cotto to find his range and land. This time when he pinned Mayweather against the ropes, Cotto was able to pummel him in the chin with straight lefts and looping rights. When Mayweather was seated on his stool in his corner between rounds, the big screen flashed a picture of his face smeared with blood from his nose, and the crowd cheered. The fans thought that Mayweather, the pound-for-pound king, was finally getting his licks.
The crowd cheered “Cotto! Cotto! Cotto!” near the end of the ninth round. He had won the crowd, but the real question was whether he had done enough to win on the judges’ scorecards.
Late in the 12th round Mayweather buckled Cotto’s knees with a sharp right uppercut. Cotto lurched forward into Mayweather’s arms and stayed on his feet. The crowd was on its feet as Cotto had given Mayweather the first real test that he’s had since Castillo pushed him to the limit as a junior lightweight more than a decade ago.
“I tried to make the (Manny) Pacquiao fight and that didn't work, so I fought Miguel Cotto instead and gave the fans a great fight,” Mayweather said. “I’m just trying to fight Pacquiao. I want that fight. If he takes the (drug) test I will fight him. Miguel Cotto agreed to the test.”
Cotto left the ring without commenting.
In the co-feature of the evening, Saul (Canelo) Alvarez (40-0-1, 29 KOs) pounded out a lopsided 12-round decision over Shane Mosley to retain his WBC super welterweight title. Alvarez, 21, was 7 years old when the 40-year-old Mosley (46-8-1) won his first title.
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- Australian Jodie Rose who married Le Pont du Diable BRIDGE celebrates 1st anniversary
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- Gloom with a view: Abandoned German hotel that once allowed only the finest people to enter but is now home to bugs and cockroaches
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- The great celebrity shoe's who: Yes, those vertiginous YSL heels are Kate Winslet's. But, as stars donate their favourite pairs to charity, can you match the other celebrities to their footwear?
- Phenix City Board of Education motions to dismiss lawsuit filed against them
- David Nabhan can 'predict earthquakes' and says next one in US will be on July 12
- 'I lost nearly 2 stone in 24 HOURS': Sport scientist proves rapid weight loss IS possible (if you're prepared to exercise wearing bin bags, eat no carbs and drink nothing)
- Meet the big game huntresses who have killed more than 70 species
- Nine suspected Al Qaeda members on trial in Yemen accused of plotting to kill the country's president and kidnap foreigners
- Deputies: Guyton man had sex on video with underage boy and dog
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Attacks in Iraq around religious ritual kill 22
- Simon Cowell: The secret to success is being rubbish at school
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Pictured for the first time: Communist sect 'leader' accused of keeping three women as slaves for more than 30 years
- Man plotting a murder butt dials his intended victim while talking to the hit man about how he should make it 'look like an accident'
- Widow of Dallas cop gunned down by JFK killer Lee Harvey Oswald forgives him
- Richmond County's handicap parking enforcement lags behind Columbia County
- Oprah Winfrey's father ordered to pay $70K to ex-wife after 'adultery with prostitute'
- Atlanta man's body found In California missing organs
- Victims' families call Bulger 'Satan,' 'terrorist'
- 'This whole thing -- it's a mess!' Obama's health care 'fix' angers insurance companies
- Rap Genius' Mahbod Moghadam had brain tumor that made him mean
- Local businessmen gather for Hall of Fame induction
- Sex-for-drinks scandal called "mamading" rocks Mallorca bars
- Paul McCartney writes to Putin asking to free Greenpeace protesters
- TVA closing 8 coal units at plants in Ala. and Ky.
- Samsung to launch a wraparound screen next year: Rumours abound that new Galaxy model could have a THREE-sided screen
- UGA-Auburn game on CBS Saturday
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Sierra Club, Georgia Watch host public meeting on Georgia Power rate hike
- Angelina really is a foxy lady! Scientists discover that silver foxes share the same facial characteristics as beautiful women
- Supreme Court green-lights Obamacare birth-control showdown
- Rayonier marks Jesup plant's $385M expansion
- Nearly one-third of Cherry Tree Crossing families have moved out of complex
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- Christmas comes early in Columbus with The Landings parade.
- UGA teams with USDA to track dog treat illnesses
- Sorry Charlie's facade inspection to take place Friday
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|