'Robo-Lolita' hunts online predators in social chatrooms
AN ARTIFICIAL intelligence has been created to entice the attention of pedophiles lurking in online chatrooms frequented by children.
Spanish researchers created the software named "Negobot" which convincingly poses as a 14-year-old girl in an effort to police social networks.
And she may already her first job: The Basque Country police force has shown interest in adopting the "robot" predator detector.
The project was initiated by the University of Deusto amid concerns about the growing online presence of vulnerable children and the limited success of more traditional means of tracking down offenders.
Known as a "conversational agent", the software uses a process known as game theory to simulate the behaviour of a young girl.
It even remembers what has been discussed previously, and when, in order to convince suspects that "she" is real.
Negobot even inserts "typos", contractions and deliberate language errors to enhance the believability of its 14-year-old "Lolita" persona.
"Chatbots tend to be very predictable. Their behaviour and interest in a conversation are flat, which is a problem when attempting to detect untrustworthy targets like pedophiles," Carlos Laorden, researcher at DeustoTech said.
"We have managed to produce a bot that varies its behaviour over time and the course of the conversation."
Negobot is something of a split personality, with seven different programmed conversational "intelligences" having their own particular way of behaving.
The different levels of behaviour are triggered as conversations become more intimate or suggestive.
Negobot starts out as fairly passive and neutral participant in general online chatter in a forum where a predator is suspected to be lurking.
Depending on the "grooming" techniques being applied by the predator, the software will choose tactics such as appearing offended or insistent in order to attract attention.
If the suspect attempts to get personal information from Negobot, the robot will - in turn - attempt to find out more about them.
"The most dangerous pedophiles are very careful about giving out information," Laorden said. "These days it is sufficient to obtain a social network profile, mobile number or email address, information that is provided to authorities in order to open an investigation."
The artificial intelligence software does still need monitoring, however.
While it has strong and broad conversational abilities, it is unable to detect behaviour like irony.
WHO runs the world? Beyoncé. But she wants other women to join in on the fun, too. Queen Bey flew her feminist flag high today ... Full story
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Manchester United 7-0 LA Galaxy: Wayne Rooney, Reece James and Ashley Young doubles ensure perfect start for Louis van Gaal
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Suspect flees in car of woman shot, killed in Smyrna
- Thanksgiving Storm: Freezing weather spreads as storm heads toward U.S. East Coast
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- Jenny McCarthy is 'terrified' after screwing over Oprah
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- killer Joseph Rudolph Wood WILL be executed after Arizona court halted lethal injection
- More than $50 million stolen from unguarded van belonging to Libya's Central Bank
- Justin Bieber makes it rain cash at strip club
- Pro-Russian looters pulled Tesco binoculars from British MH17 victim's suitcase - but threw them back because they were broken
- Captain America drops action-heavy first trailer
- How not to react in a debate: TV discussion about Gaza and Syria turns violent
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Mars heiress worth $20.5billion charged with reckless driving over fatal head-on crash with minivan which killed grandmother, 86
- At last, some dignity for the victims of MH17: 40 hearses and thousands of mourners line highways to pay respects
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- FaceTime not working on your iPad or iphone? Here’s the fix
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- A giant haggis, cabers, golf clubs, 41 Scottish terriers, Rod Stewart, Billy Connolly, the Queen, lashings of self-deprecation and even a gay kiss - Glasgow's Commonwealth Games begin in style
- Amazon seeks permission from United States Federal Aviation Administration for drone tests
- Moment hero cop and driver took down assault rifle-toting gunman after he went on a terrifying twenty minute rampage
- Feds say NYC strippers drug rich men
- Igor Girkin says 'MH17 bodies aren't fresh' as he claims corpses had been 'dead for days'
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Brazilians blowing up over 2014 FIFA World Cup song
- Black teen was scared and disoriented when she banged on the front door of white homeowner who shot her dead
- From joy to despair in just 23 hours for Oakland pitcher Pat Neshek
- Arizona inmate Joseph Rudolph Wood dies 2 HOURS after execution began
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- Verizon boosts FiOS uploads to match downloads
- Dutch call for Putin's daughter to be deported after it is discovered she lives in Holland with her boyfriend: Ukrainians also plan protest outside her apartment
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- Simon Cowell trolled over donation to Israeli soldiers' organisation
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- 'When does your morality kick in': Al Sharpton demands justice in defiant speech against NYPD at funeral of father who died after officer put him choke hold
- Husband caught teacher wife Amie Neely, 38, having sex with exchange student, 16, after tracking her via GPS phone app
- Pregnant woman, 27, arrested 'after posting a selfie on Facebook wearing a stolen dress'
- Moment a video vigilante filmed a WalMart shoplifter making off with a grocery cart full of stolen items before fleeing with the loot in an SUV
Tech NewsGet the latest tech news from Georgia Newsday!. Find breaking tech news, including expert analysis, commentaries, videos and opinions.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|