'Robo-Lolita' hunts online predators in social chatrooms
AN ARTIFICIAL intelligence has been created to entice the attention of pedophiles lurking in online chatrooms frequented by children.
Spanish researchers created the software named "Negobot" which convincingly poses as a 14-year-old girl in an effort to police social networks.
And she may already her first job: The Basque Country police force has shown interest in adopting the "robot" predator detector.
The project was initiated by the University of Deusto amid concerns about the growing online presence of vulnerable children and the limited success of more traditional means of tracking down offenders.
Known as a "conversational agent", the software uses a process known as game theory to simulate the behaviour of a young girl.
It even remembers what has been discussed previously, and when, in order to convince suspects that "she" is real.
Negobot even inserts "typos", contractions and deliberate language errors to enhance the believability of its 14-year-old "Lolita" persona.
"Chatbots tend to be very predictable. Their behaviour and interest in a conversation are flat, which is a problem when attempting to detect untrustworthy targets like pedophiles," Carlos Laorden, researcher at DeustoTech said.
"We have managed to produce a bot that varies its behaviour over time and the course of the conversation."
Negobot is something of a split personality, with seven different programmed conversational "intelligences" having their own particular way of behaving.
The different levels of behaviour are triggered as conversations become more intimate or suggestive.
Negobot starts out as fairly passive and neutral participant in general online chatter in a forum where a predator is suspected to be lurking.
Depending on the "grooming" techniques being applied by the predator, the software will choose tactics such as appearing offended or insistent in order to attract attention.
If the suspect attempts to get personal information from Negobot, the robot will - in turn - attempt to find out more about them.
"The most dangerous pedophiles are very careful about giving out information," Laorden said. "These days it is sufficient to obtain a social network profile, mobile number or email address, information that is provided to authorities in order to open an investigation."
The artificial intelligence software does still need monitoring, however.
While it has strong and broad conversational abilities, it is unable to detect behaviour like irony.
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- A model fan! Belgian teen lands L'Oreal contract after being photographed at World Cup game
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Georgia Governor Nathan Deal finally takes responsibility for winter weather chaos
- First marathon runner crosses finish line
- Mike Tyson opens up about bankruptcy, how much sex he got in jail and how he told his ex-wife he had AIDS
- Russian cosmonauts take Olympic torch on first historic spacewalk outside space station
- Sleeping man picture goes viral
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- The 12 major travel destinations you can skip
- Feds post food allergy guidelines for schools
- It's Bob Baaa-ley! Marley the sheep sports amazing dreadlocks (and her trainer can't keep him off the grass)
- King Edward VIII dropped F-bomb at having to miss rendezvous with lover
- 400-meter asteroid sighted may 'blow up the earth' in 2032
- Second extortion attempt on Hong Kong set of 'Transformers 4: Age of Extinction'
- Typhoon Haiyan wreaks havoc as death toll rises in Philippines
- Mother Shannon Dodson 'drowned son then set body on fire'
- Georgia Southern takes aim at new shooting sports center
- Virus holds computer files ransom
- Slain LAX TSA officer remembered as a family man
- Camel visits Columbus for Hump Day!
- Free swastika tattoos aim to 'reclaim' Nazi symbol's original Buddhist meaning of peace and love
- Negotiators report little progress in budget talks
- Be There: Motivating high school students to continue their education
- The adjustable airline seats that widen according to your size (and how much you're willing to pay)
- Squirrel invasion sweeping Georgia
- The Facebook photo of a high school basketball coach Laraine Cook being groped by her fiance that got her fired
- Sorry Charlie's facade inspection to take place Friday
- Robert Felix Gonzales charged with prostituting teen runaway on Craigslist in exchange for meth and cash
- Typhoon slams Philippines; high death toll feared
- GA police use tiny serial numbers to track goods
- Is organic food really better?
- AU safety experts urge community to watch out for date rape drugs
- Georgia company expands recall of pet treats
- The scents of success? Meet the twin sisters who help control where you spend your money - all through the power of smell
- Kate's secret godmother of style: She brought the royal couple together at 17 and her stunning looks almost stole the show at George's christening. But these pictures reveal Emilia D'Erlanger's most vital role...
- Medical crew killed in helicopter crash on way to pick up sick child
- 9th annual Wounded Warrior & Wheelchair Hunt
- Married leader of controversial Quiverfull movement which promotes family values resigns after having an affair
- Residents near Ga. base warned of weapons training
- From glam to grubby: Haunting pictures offer stark look inside New York City strip clubs with the lights on
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|