Overcharging? AT&T Accused Of 'Unjust Enrichment' In New Suit
Is AT&T billing customers for data they didn't use? That's exactly what a recently filed lawsuit accuses the company of doing.
Patrick Hendricks, an AT&T customer using an iPhone, hired an independent consulting firm which determined that the company's bills "systematically overstate web server traffic by 7% to 14%" with that percentage sometimes ballooning to 300%.
"AT&T's billing system for iPhone and iPad data transactions is like a rigged gas pump that charges for a full gallon when it pumps only nine-tenths of a gallon into your car's tank," the complaint said.
The suit also accuses AT&T of fabricating data usage that never occurred. The consulting firm purchased a brand-new iPhone, disabled all push notification and location services, added no apps, or email, and discovered that after 10 days, AT&T still charged the phone for 2.2MB of data transfers.
"Many of these charges were phantom data transactions that never happened or were never initiated or experienced by Mr. Hendricks," the lawsuit said.
Hendricks' complaint charges AT&T with five counts, which include unjust enrichment, unfair business practices and violating the federal law that prohibits "unjust and unreasonable" telecommunication charges. He has asked for class-action status on the suit, which would open it up to the millions of iPhone and other smartphone users currently on one of the company's data plans.
Hendricks is on AT&T's $15-per-month data plan, for 200MB each month, which requires payments of $15 dollars for each 200MB he goes over his plan. The plan is one of the two options AT&T unveiled after getting rid of its unlimited data plan.
A spokesman for AT&T defended the company. "We have only recently learned of the complaint, but I can tell you that we intend to defend ourselves vigorously. Transparent and accurate billing is a top priority for AT&T," he said.
WHO runs the world? Beyoncé. But she wants other women to join in on the fun, too. Queen Bey flew her feminist flag high today ... Full story
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Manchester United 7-0 LA Galaxy: Wayne Rooney, Reece James and Ashley Young doubles ensure perfect start for Louis van Gaal
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- How not to react in a debate: TV discussion about Gaza and Syria turns violent
- Jenny McCarthy is 'terrified' after screwing over Oprah
- killer Joseph Rudolph Wood WILL be executed after Arizona court halted lethal injection
- More than $50 million stolen from unguarded van belonging to Libya's Central Bank
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- Suspect flees in car of woman shot, killed in Smyrna
- A giant haggis, cabers, golf clubs, 41 Scottish terriers, Rod Stewart, Billy Connolly, the Queen, lashings of self-deprecation and even a gay kiss - Glasgow's Commonwealth Games begin in style
- Pro-Russian looters pulled Tesco binoculars from British MH17 victim's suitcase - but threw them back because they were broken
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- Dutch call for Putin's daughter to be deported after it is discovered she lives in Holland with her boyfriend: Ukrainians also plan protest outside her apartment
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Moment hero cop and driver took down assault rifle-toting gunman after he went on a terrifying twenty minute rampage
- Police: Officer opens fire on sword-wielding man Julian Faulkner
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- At last, some dignity for the victims of MH17: 40 hearses and thousands of mourners line highways to pay respects
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Thanksgiving Storm: Freezing weather spreads as storm heads toward U.S. East Coast
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- FaceTime not working on your iPad or iphone? Here’s the fix
- Igor Girkin says 'MH17 bodies aren't fresh' as he claims corpses had been 'dead for days'
- Teacher Amy Bass Jackson arrested for sex with student
- Long time Atlanta fugitive found working in Claxton
- Justin Bieber makes it rain cash at strip club
- Amazon seeks permission from United States Federal Aviation Administration for drone tests
- Actress Charlize Theron is barely recognisable in her Mad Max role, as first-look pictures emerge
- #ThanksObama: President's motorcade prevents a woman in labor from getting to LA hospital for 30 minutes
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Serena Williams wants to play tennis until she's 40
- Kellogg's sorry for promising food to poor kids in exchange for re-tweets
- Female suicide bomber kills five on bus in Russia ahead of Sochi Olympics
- Lady Gaga 'dumped' by boyfriend as he can't handle her alter-egos
- Tom Greer shoots dead female burglar who said she was pregnant: ‘She best be dead’
Tech NewsGet the latest tech news from Georgia Newsday!. Find breaking tech news, including expert analysis, commentaries, videos and opinions.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|