Overcharging? AT&T Accused Of 'Unjust Enrichment' In New Suit
Is AT&T billing customers for data they didn't use? That's exactly what a recently filed lawsuit accuses the company of doing.
Patrick Hendricks, an AT&T customer using an iPhone, hired an independent consulting firm which determined that the company's bills "systematically overstate web server traffic by 7% to 14%" with that percentage sometimes ballooning to 300%.
"AT&T's billing system for iPhone and iPad data transactions is like a rigged gas pump that charges for a full gallon when it pumps only nine-tenths of a gallon into your car's tank," the complaint said.
The suit also accuses AT&T of fabricating data usage that never occurred. The consulting firm purchased a brand-new iPhone, disabled all push notification and location services, added no apps, or email, and discovered that after 10 days, AT&T still charged the phone for 2.2MB of data transfers.
"Many of these charges were phantom data transactions that never happened or were never initiated or experienced by Mr. Hendricks," the lawsuit said.
Hendricks' complaint charges AT&T with five counts, which include unjust enrichment, unfair business practices and violating the federal law that prohibits "unjust and unreasonable" telecommunication charges. He has asked for class-action status on the suit, which would open it up to the millions of iPhone and other smartphone users currently on one of the company's data plans.
Hendricks is on AT&T's $15-per-month data plan, for 200MB each month, which requires payments of $15 dollars for each 200MB he goes over his plan. The plan is one of the two options AT&T unveiled after getting rid of its unlimited data plan.
A spokesman for AT&T defended the company. "We have only recently learned of the complaint, but I can tell you that we intend to defend ourselves vigorously. Transparent and accurate billing is a top priority for AT&T," he said.
Tech NewsGet the latest tech news from Georgia Newsday!. Find breaking tech news, including expert analysis, commentaries, videos and opinions.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Wife of Indian minister Shashi Tharoor died 'suddenly and unnaturally'
- Jealous woman Giselle Esteban jailed for 25 years after murdering her best friend 'in cold blood' over love rival
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 382
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31