Christmas Tree Syndrome is a real thing

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

That means people everywhere are putting up Christmas trees, stringing lights and hanging ornaments that have been passed down for generations.

But some people aren't too pleased with the effects of having the Douglas firs and Fraser firs around the house.

That's because Christmas Tree Syndrome means sneezing and congestion for many people. 

CTS is caused by molds found on Christmas trees that grow when the trees find warmth inside peoples' homes. The molds release spores that can cause allergic reactions and hay fever.

The allergic reactions are caused by pollens that collect in the tree's bark and when molds collect in the trunk and needles.

Artificial trees also have the potential to cause unwanted sneezing, especially if the tree has been stored since the previous winter season. Dust that accumulates disperses during assembly. 

According to the Daily Mail, CTS was discovered in 2011 when allergy specialist Dr. Lawrence Kurlandsky conducted research at Upstate Medical University in New York to find out why respiratory illnesses peak around Christmas. Now, about 35 percent of people in the U.K. and the U.S. suffer from an increase of allergies and hay fever-like symptoms at Christmas. 

“If you and your children don’t have any obvious allergies, then it is probably not going to bother you,” Kurlandsky said.

 
 
 
 

Subscribe to comments feed Comments (0 posted)

total: | displaying:

Post your comment

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Quote

Please enter the code you see in the image:

Captcha